nat error madness !

atom224

trying to keep from firing the whole pc out the window.

I use a wireless isp (yep we're on edge of town where dsl, cable etc don't reach)

I have been assigned a static ip address of 172.16.66.XX

I have to use a wireless router that connects to the radio antenna (no modem)

It has an ip of 192.168.1.10 According to ipconfig.

My netgear router won't let me port forward to the 172.16.66.xx ip address.

I have read, and reread all of the portforward info but can't get this to work ! It seems so simple to just portforward the corresponding utorrent port (6882) to my ip of 192.168.1.10, reset, and presto !

It just isn't working. Anyone have any ideas ? I uninstalled comodo, it didnt help. I reinstalled it and set utorrent as a trusted app & that didn't help. Oh yeah, this is a small isp that does not filter or block anything.

thanks for all of the great posts, I wish I could have made some progress !!!

Atom

yep, you are right. In fact it only lets me forward 192.168.1.10. The problem is, that doesn't work either. On my firewall I can see that all of my requests out are going through with nothing being received. I will keep trying.

thanks for the quick response

Atom

that's what I was afraid of. I have read the info on double NAT, and I still don't understand it. Is there a simple way to figure out to set up for it ? I only have the 172.16.xx addresses that are my static ip and the gateway. Do I portforward them on MY router ?

and why does my external ip show up as 206.51.197.146 on the port forward page ? is that the eventual ip after all of the forwarding ?

holy crap this is confusing ! good thing I just have to save lives for a living.

atom

Well, look at it this way. Your router has 2 sides: the side that goes to your internal network, and the side that goes to your ISP. The side that goes to your network uses the 192.168.1 subnet. Your ISP has assigned their side of your router the IP address 172.16.66.x. The 172.16 subnet contains your ISP and their clients, and they have a router which on the side that contains their clients has an IP within the 172.16 subnet. Their router then connects to the internet using the 205.51.197.46 IP address. The outside world can't see your "internal" 172.16 address, or your internal 192.168 addresses, they only see your ISP's external "public" address 205.51.197.46.

To make this work, you'd need to work with your ISP. You'd either need to be set up on a DMZ or have them do port-forwarding to you. Most likely, they won't do either one and you're just hooped.

I'm sure they'd do it if you're willing to pay them considerably more for a "business line with a fixed ip address that is allowed to run servers".

uTorrent can still run if firewalled by NAT. Just not as well. :(

uTP and Teredo/IPv6 can get around some NAT problems because they act like they (or do) connect through proxy servers.

Archived