utorrent not closing problem

UmarAllAroundYou

Every time I close utorrent, it closes, the window and the system tray icon go away but the process doesn't close. I tried closing the process with the task manager as well as another program that can force close processes, but it didn't work, the process just stayed open. utorrent doesn't open anymore because it says the process is still running. The only way to close the process is if I restart my computer.

I've heard that on Vista, zonealarm can cause this problem. I am running zonealarm and I do have vista, but is that definitely the problem? Is there any way to fix the problem without closing zonealarm?

Thanks!

No, you are living with a timebomb.

Zone Alarm is horribly broken software that makes your system potentially MORE vulnerable due to its OWN programming flaws.

The company that makes it has released "phone home" beta versions...and multiple times released updates that completely crash Windows!

The problem IS ZA. It's very well known that ZA causes this issue.

It's also known to crash computers and cause many other problems with P2P apps (Vuze/Azureus has had a long history of problems caused by ZA).

It is the single worst firewall you can use out there.

Congratulations, you had multiple problems with your computer and you've just removed the first one. :P

"utorrent only has this problem if I directly open a torrent from a web browser"

Sounds like a file association problem. There's steps in the uTorrent FAQ to fix that I think...

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I have the same problem. I'm using Windows 7 and have the latest utorrent (2.0 build 18296). When I choose "Exit" from the system tray icon, the window stays a bit, then disappears, but the process utorrent.exe is still in the Task Manager at least a minute or two. If I forcefully close it and then reopen it, it starts building the download information again (it says "Checking"). I have no firewall software installed other than the standard Windows firewall. Does anybody else have a similar problem? Is there a solution to this?

Thanks.

Archived