whats ur p2p prog for music files?

dynamite_0916

You mean less likely than using P2P, not iTunes right? :P

I have heard good things about allofmp3, but from what I've heard, if you're in the US you are under the same penalty as p2p because you're basically importing illegal goods or something..

But I see what you're saying, it's not like the RIAA is actively monitoring allofmp3 usage like FastTrack etc.

You mean less likely than using P2P, not iTunes right? :P

Haha yeah, precisely. Sorry, wrote that around 12:30am after I had a couple cold ones tongue

Some more legal info: http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm

Anyway, I heard the RIAA was going after them months and months ago. Seems like they couldn't do anything. I mean, technically the money really does go to the artists. But yeah, although that makes me feel better, personally, I'm not so sure about the legality of it here in the states. But the above link will help explain.

But regardless, if you're going to do it "illegally", why not use a site where you really do pay the artists a little bit, and also get to pick any format / bitrate you want? If you do get sued, you could at least claim that you thought you were paying and going the legal route. Plus speeds are >100KBs. It's pretty nice, though I admit they don't have *everything* but their collection can be browsed for free at their site. And you get like 20 cents for signing up, which is rougly two medium-quality songs. (You pay per-MB.)

-Ares

@Noname: What about me? ;) (sorry, had to)

But yeah, Ares is pretty good - except 6 people from my college got sued for using it last year. And this is in West Virginia. I'm quite surprised the RIAA bothered to look in my little state for such things.

EDIT: Okay, why is it that every time I post something in this thread today, I post twice? And it's not because I'm hitting the Submit button repeatedly. If I delete ONE of the duplicates, they BOTH get deleted! And evidently when I edit one, both get edited. Could an admin clean this up for me, please?

-Ares

I wonder if there's a non jave-evil version for limewire\frostwire.

not afaik, there are a couple of (mostly crappy) gnutella clients that aren't Java though.

What about Ares?

That's a different network to Limewire/Frostwire, so it's not really a valid answer ;)

Anyway, I heard the RIAA was going after them months and months ago. Seems like they couldn't do anything. I mean, technically the money really does go to the artists.

Well, I don't think the money does go the artists (although I can't say much more for most legal download services, doesn't more than 70% of the 99c per song go to the RIAA with 5c for Apple and 5c to the artists? If it were up to me I'd split it 85/10/5 artist/Apple/RIAA). I think they just use the money to pay off the Russian board in charge of investigating this stuff. There's a Slashdot article on the investigation but I don't think it was the RIAA, it was a Russian organization.

In any event, I think AllOfMP3 is what the "real legit" services should be offering (apart from selling by MB/GB, I can see where that doesn't quite work, but charging extra for FLAC I can understand). Stupid DRM.

Archived