No Router/Firewall, Port Checker Fails on all ports! DL @ 0-5kBps

kirby

I used uTorrent in Ottawa with Sympatico and had no problems. Fast DL speeds. Moved back to Vancouver, with Shaw Cable, and now have very crappy speeds (0-5 KBps). Me and a friend on the other side of town (with Telus DSL) started downloading using the same torrent and his finished a few days ago, while I am still at 7-8 % (2.5G file).

As an attempt to rule out any firewall problems, I disconnected my router and connected my PC directley to the cable modem. I also disabled Norton and turned off the Windows firewall. when I go to http://utorrent.com/testport.php?port=1720, using port 1720 (and a bunch of others) to rule out ISP bw throttling being the cause, I get the "Error! Port 1720 does not appear to be open." message. Correct me if I am wrong, but that test is independant of running uTorrent, and should not be even failing on port 80 or 21, right?

This forum psot implies that Shaw does throttle but I should still be able to get a positive result from the port checker some of the time atleast. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4128

And, what's even more screwed up, is that when I was going through my router before with my ports properly forwarded on the router (and/or when I put my self in the DMZ) I was able to get a positive result from the port checker maybe half the time, which may be from Shaw throttling.

Anyone out there have suggestions for further tests? Is this explainable in any way? what is blocking those ports when I have no firewall?

No I wasn't using the speed guide. I was manually going into preferences and changing the port and then editing the URL to change the port on the port checker. Now that I used the speed guide, it seems to be passing now. I don't get it, oh well, thanks for the help, atleast I've got that figured out now.

That doesn't help the DL rates at all though, but I'm not going to start another post about speed issues, as I can see there's enough of those already.

It's probably Shaw anyways and there's nothing I can do about that ( I dont have a land line and Telus will charge an extra 20 bucks a month if you subscribe to ADSL without leasing one!!!! ).

I have reason to believe that the slowness is from the torrents that I have, and possibly not shaw. I tried the OpenOffice torrent and that went up to 200KBps at one point while my other's ( even one with seeds at 20(746) ), were around 2-3KBps. Some day I will learn how the torrent protocol works when I have time, but untill then, that's my assumption :)

I'm sure if Shaw was going to throttle, it would be in Vancouver, where there's such a high volume of subscribers using torrents. So that must be contributing too

You say that it went up to 200KB/s at one point... do you mean it wasn't constantly at that speed? Because that torrent is one of the few torrents that actually max out your torrents fairly quickly and constantly. If it wasn't 200KB/s constantly, then it does sound like ISP throttling =T

yea, that sounds about right.

as an update, I actually am still having the same problem as b4 where my port is changing from being open to closed (found by looking at the utorrent site through the speed guide), every few minutes. I dont get it. it isn't my router though and I havent found anyone else who has the same problem. it's strange.

maybe that's misleading. I mean it goes back and forth from open and closed. It could stay open for a few hours even, but then it closes so the timing is either very random, or it's actually going back and forth so fast that it's like flipping a coin everytime I check.

No I haven't, none of my friends use torrents, they just let me do the downloading and I pass it on to them. what are friends for right :)

I will ask my classmates if any of them notice it. I am sure I will find some.

As for anyone that is reading this from the Vancouver, BC area, have any of you ever noticed problems like I am having, and are using Shaw? If you are having speed troubles, try the utorrent port cheker through the speed guide periodically and see if you notice it go back and forth.

Archived