uTorrent won't install properly. Not in program files

hagmanm2

My apologies if this has already been addressed, I searched the forums and could not find the answer.

My problem is utorrent didn't install properly from the utorrent download application. It never showed up under my program files, and likewise it isn't showing up under my program and features list in control panel.

Now here's the weird thing, when I try to reinstall it via the downloaded utorrent application, it immediately opens up the program as if it were installed. However, that is the only way to open the program as it is not on the hard drive in program files or in my start menu under programs.

I'd like to uninstall it so I can install it properly... but vista (32bit version, sp1) doesn't recognize it as installed. Any help would be great. Thanks

Some more info. When I do double click the file I downloaded for install, it brings the software up (which is also the only way to get uTorrent to open - that and opening a new torrent), and utorrent seems to work properly... torrents download and when I open a new torrent it recognizes the file association with utorrent and opens the program... even though utorrent isn't installed.

It doesn't have a directory folder on my hard drive and it isn't showing up in program files. When I do a search for utorrent.exe the only file that shows up is the file I downloaded for install, which is in my downloads folder. If I delete that file and try to open a new torrent it shows an error message.... and if I download the install app again, it does the same thing. please please help, ugh this is annoying - I just want it to install properly.

With pressing cancel on the first run of a version, the exe is executed without install and utorrent remembers that.

If you want to install it, just pick another version (1.8.3 beta f.e.), start that, exit it, and rerun your version of utorrent.

You'll be asked for install again.

Ah, thank you so much. Before I try that, will I lose torrent information when trying a different version, then going back to my old one? I have a few torrents that I've been dling for a while.

I didn't think anyone was going to respond and was about to switch to vuze, blegh. Thanks for the reply. uTorrent has definitely been my favorite software, but I was wondering what exactly is the difference between the new bittorrent and utorrent?

Archived