Laws outside the U.S.

casper13

Hello,

I have been trying to find some info on this topic and google doesn't give a specified enough return. I've been using uTorrent for years in the U.S. but I'll be moving to the Netherlands soon and want to know what their laws are in regards to d/l'ing torrents. Are they the same as the U.S.? What is/is not allowed? Thanks for the help in advance.

NL is clearly less strong than the USA. In addition the networks of ISP are surely better, NL has a very good connectivity (Lease Web etc).

Just read that: http://torrentfreak.com/search/netherlands

And look at how many trackers/servers are hosted in NL, the famous one being Mininova.

Good paper about the law in NL: http://torrentfreak.com/economy-profits-from-file-sharing-report-concludes-090119/

The report goes on to discuss the legal situation in the Netherlands. Downloading music and movies for personal use is currently legal under Dutch law while uploading is illegal, although most file-sharers are uncertain as to what is allowed and what is not. Although anti-piracy outfits are lobbying for harsher copyright laws, this will have little effect.

Welcome in Europe! :D

Downloading movies and music (without permission of the copyright holders) in the Netherlands is legal (probably with the exception of unreleased material).

Downloading software and games (without permission of the copyright holders) is illegal.

However uploading any of the above (without permission of the copyright holders) is illegal. This means using BitTorrent for any of the above material is illegal (without permission of the copyright holders).

I can't comment on how strict the Netherlands is in following these laws because quite frankly this forum isn't here to discuss (let alone advice on) how to commit illegal activities.

I appreciate the reply. I'm not trying to figure out how to scam and commit illegal acts, but definately want to make sure I don't get myself caught up in the wrong stuff. I take it using a bit torrent would be illegal because you upload as you download? What if you set your upload limit to zero? I know this really just seems like I am trying to bypass the laws but again, the last thing I want is to be an American citizen getting in trouble in a foreign county.

Archived