auto-addition of web seeds to existing torrents

rafi

When we add a new torrent to uT and it is already exists there - uT asks if to add the trackers from it to the existing torrent.

I suggest that at the same time - uT will also add any new web seed(s) that are found in the new torrent to the existing torrent.

If you want to do it nicer - you can add two check-boxes in this question dialog - add trackers/add seeds so we can choose if to add both and any of them.

edit:

if will be nice if we can set uT to also priorities those web seeds

well, in general - you are correct, you want to add them . There are some ISPs here that modify the torrents and add some local seeds. Sometimes those are corrupted seeds, so you might want not to not add them.

good question... I'm not sure, but I think accidental, since the ISP put them there to try decrease his international traffic. I tried to download the actual seed manually once, and the data was REALLY corrupted (bad rar files), so it's not cuased by bad communication... He also put in his own tracker, I guess it's to try give those seeds more propriety by trying to make the original (clustered) tracked less accessible. that's why I suggested the have the option (as today) to not update with new trackers.

All this is new to me... I never dreamed any ISP can/will modify any downloaded user file. Since this system is new here, I guess there might be some bugs in the ISP system as well... :P

An ISP local peer cache and/or seed box "solution" that injects ips into peer lists is potentially vulnerable to hostile or dead ip injection, which increases bandwidth used but not download speeds. Greedy ISPs might go 1 step further and REMOVE "distant" ips of other ISPs in the peer lists. A faulty or restrictive design could accidentally or intentionally block access to content. An ISP design that affects PRIVATE torrents could get site members banned for ratio discrepancies (uploading/downloading from "invisible" peers/seeds) or for not uploading to "distant" members.

right. you can also look at the sample 'injected torrent' I posted in the 1.9 thread. I'm sure you will easily locate the original in mininova... this one, revealed a few bugs in uTorrent (I think) ... and causes infinite download at very high speed locally here, with no real progress... funny stuff... :)

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=404011#p404011

• 10 months later...

I'm searching for an easy way to add webseeds to existing torrents. The Feature requested by rafi would be very useful for me.

Is there a chance that it will be implemented soon, or is there another possibility to add Webseeds without using the GUI (console parameter or something equal)?

Archived