Cannot connect to *ANY* tracker

Cephus

This has only happened in the last day or two, but it's really, really annoying. I'm using uTorrent 1.4, build 402, I haven't made any changes at all, but now every single solitary torrent times out trying to connect to the torrent. Every one. If I restart uTorrent, they all connect for about 5-10 minutes, then it goes back to 100% timeouts. I have no NAT errors, the network is fine, port test comes back clean, and my wife's computer, which is on the same connection, same router, using the same version of uTorrent, isn't having the problem, she's connecting to every tracker just fine.

I'm going to see if there's another update, but does anyone have any ideas?

I have no idea what could be causing it...

I don't either, but it is consistent. Every single time I reboot or restart uTorrent, it runs fine for a couple minutes, then... 100% timeouts connecting to every tracker, be it Demonoid, Pirate's Bay, Boxtorrents, FileSoup, etc. Of course, once that happens, my download speeds go to crap. I went and reset my port *AGAIN*, uTorrent still reports Network OK, still reports port working fine...

I went and re-loaded uTorrent, no change. Ran full virus and spyware checks, clean. I was thinking of resetting the timeout settings, but it looks like uTorrent doesn't have them.

I haven't changed any software to make this happen, if that's what you're asking.

I Deleted settings after I found them, and did a port test, the port I was using wasn't open, and I can't find a port number that works. I am on a college network, so I don't think I have a router to manipulate(I don't exactly know what one looks like). Is there a magic port number that will be open?

I haven't updated uTorrent either, I have 1.4.

@SuperUberPhil: No, there is no magic port that is already forwarded to your specific internal IP. You could try enabling UPnP in uT, hoping that the Uni router is enabled/complient, but that's a long shot. You must configure you're own system to enable UPnP (it's on by default but some people tweak it off) and you're firewall must be compatible with UPnP (WinXP firewall is so configure it to allow it). If it works you'll see UPnP (port) in your status bar.

@Cephus: Obviously there is something screwed up on your comp considering it works on your wife's. Even when trackers timeout, downloads don't go to zero as you are connected to the peers it informed you beforehand. That tells me something else broke. Can you use the internet for anything else when this happens?

@Cephus: Obviously there is something screwed up on your comp considering it works on your wife's. Even when trackers timeout, downloads don't go to zero as you are connected to the peers it informed you beforehand. That tells me something else broke. Can you use the internet for anything else when this happens?

Yes, everything else worked just fine. I did manage to fix it (keep your fingers crossed) by just completely uninstalling uTorrent and reinstalling it fresh and at the moment, it does seem to work alright. The problem is that when you can't connect to the tracker, you can't connect to most peers and seeds, thereby killing your transfer speed. I was getting something like 1.5k downloads on torrents that were running at 21m.

But I think I've got it fixed, at least it worked for me. Thanks everyone.

I reread this thread and noticed one difference between Cephus's problem and mine: My port test comes back bad, but I still have the same problem he has where the torrents download for a few minutes then go to zero. What port number should I use?

I deleted the .exe and other related files, yet when I dowloaded the software from this site again, it opened immediately upon clicking the link, which leads me to believe I missed something. How can I be actually sure I delete the application? I Really want this particular torrent software to work, since it uses such a small amount of computer power.

I deleted everything I found related to utorrent, then restarted my computer, opened a torrent, and I still couldn't connect to tracker. I am relatively bad with computers, so I don't really understand networking, but that probably doesn't matter much to me, since I am using a college network. Is it possible that torrents have been blocked by the network within the past few days?

I deleted everything I found related to utorrent, then restarted my computer, opened a torrent, and I still couldn't connect to tracker. I am relatively bad with computers, so I don't really understand networking, but that probably doesn't matter much to me, since I am using a college network. Is it possible that torrents have been blocked by the network within the past few days?

It's possible, but the fact that you're getting a NAT error means that you won't be able to connect to any trackers because no one can reach your system. You're going to have to talk to the network admins or find other people there who are sucessfully using BitTorrent to see what their settings are. If the network has blocked ports 6881-6999 and you have no way of opening any ports outside of that range, you're screwed.

I think you are right, those ports aren't working. I downloaded BitComet to see if it was just this program, and it wouldn't work either. I tested Ares(I know its not bittorrent) to see if that still worked, and that doesn't work now either. Are my file sharing days here over?

Until you can find a port that works, yes. That might mean that you can't share until you get out of college and are paying for your own connection.

Archived