Network Wizard Connection Type Question

randwill

I'm a new user and encountered the "Network Wizard" box when setting up. Under Connection Type, I am confused by the choices; xx/64k, xx/96k, xx/128k, ect. Testing my speed at the Time Warner Road Runner site I see that it is 2622 Kbps. What is the appropriate Connection Type setting for this speed? Thanks.

Okay. I had to turn off Norton to get results, but they are 765 kbps or 93.7 KB/sec for download and 68Kbps or 8.5 KB/sec for upload. So I set Connection Type to xx/64k, correct?

Incidentally, what's the difference between Kbps and KB/sec. Since the numbers are different I assume it means two different things, but I would have guessed each one meant the same thing; kilobytes per second.

Every time I change the Connection Type setting I have to adjust the number of torrents in the Queue Settings box under Torrent Options. This would seem to be telling me that it is automatically limiting the number of active torrents I should have running according to my upload speed, yes?

Tested three more times. Download results were 4271, 1856 and 4454kbps. Upload results were 34, 202 and 124kbps. I don't know what this means, but in measuring anything else such widely varying results would indicate that the test was pretty meaningless. Is there, in fact, no real way of determining these speeds or is it normal for them to vary widely from one minute to the next? Or is the "test" just generating random numbers each time that have no meaning at all?

Okay, well, I didn't know that.

I closed everything else out and re-tested 4 more times, 3 times on the Atlanta server and once on the Washington DC server and acheived much more consistant results. Averaging 4789kbps Download and 360kbps Upload. So it looks like xx/384k is the best setting under Connection Type for me.

Archived