Saving files with different names and moving faster in the queues

Gokuroro

As you may have noticed in the subject, I've got two features which I think would be good ones:

First, most important and the motive I came here: When you download a torrent that has only one file to download you can choose its path and filename, but when you download a torrent with multiple files (directory torrent?) it can't be done and for people like me that likes changing the name of files to put them in an self-organized manner and maybe even put them in CDs or DVDs, it becomes incredibly difficult to re-seed them. The solutions would be to not rename them (for me it would be not an option for the perfeccionist I am and many out there may also be) or, if already gone to a disk, copy them back to the HD, rename them again and then re-seed them... which would take time.

Second one is for people who likes putting lots of torrents in stopped mode and rearrange it in an, once again, organized order. It becomes a little too stressful to click like hundreds of times in a move up or move down button. Maybe a hotkey for moving it or holding the move up or move down button to allow it to move many stances at a time.

Thank you for your time at reading this and making a very good torrent client,

Gokuroro.

• 2 weeks later...

Some files are divided in various packs and each having a different style of naming, therefore if I want to rename them all and, even after renaming it, being able to seed it, I will have to unrename it. And being that way it wouldn't even make sense to rename in the first place. But since I (and, probably, lots of people) want to have it renamed, and since it may not be so much a dificult task to make a version with choosing the file name for each file (I suppose), I think the utorrent group wouldn't mind making something like that. Or at least I hope so. XD

sorry for my bad english :)

Those who apologize for having bad English generally aren't the ones that really need to apologize :P

It's those people who talk with idiotic short-forms of real words like 'da', 'wit', 'dat', 'wen', 'sed', 'mite', and other "ebonics" that should get a smack upside the head for butchering the language ^_^.

Not all releases are scene releases. And, scene stuff is often re-released (especially TV ones) in larger packs later, and the naming system isn't always nice. And comic torrents, are an absolute nightmare.

That said, I don't think this feature is essential, especially since the alternate names need to be stored somewhere on the HD (probably in APPDATA) and there's more essential features. Mabye swing back and get this later, but right now the devs are too busy. It's more of a nice feature than a needed feature. What's so hard about "personalizing" the torrents contents later?

Here is another reason (I think) in favor of renaming:

Sometimes I come across a file whose name includes foreign (for my locale) characters.

As they are usually rendered as '?', my OS cannot create the file, I get uTorrent errors and the only solution I have is to cancel dl. on that particular file (from a multi-file torrent).

I hope I am wrong on that.

The biggest problem I've found about the renaming (for people who said "just use a program to rename" and stuff) is the seeding after putting the files to a CD/DVD. My HD is not big enough to keep moving stuff I want to re-seed in and out. For the single files, as Nefarious said, I have no problems. The problem is about the packs.

And for Firon: just for curiosity, the "no comment" statement of yours means you didn't like it, didn't think about it or just leaving it to think carefully in another moment?

Thanks again.

i download to a download directory and move to a completed directory, and that's fine

but then i want to sort the files into the 'permanent collection', and i can't do that unless i either 1) stop seeding or 2) create a bunch of duplicate files that are going to be a pain to clean up later and eats tons of disk space

so it would be kind of handy to point it to a new location and say, "here's where i moved them" and then it could search to find new filenames and whatnot

the other scenario i run into is that often i get torrents that are either duplicates of each other or have a lot of files in common. so it would be really nifty if there was some sort of 'dupe file finder' that could take a torrent and then find any files on the system that already exist. This could either be an on-demand scan (if you suspect a particular torrent) or a catalog that stores hash information for all the files for quick matching. Any files that were found would then automatically be seeded and there would be no need to download them again.

I realize that this last feature really diverges from pure torrent handling more into the realm of disc cataloging and is thus really unlikely to get implemented anytime in the immediate future (if at all), but just figured i'd throw it out there anyways

you could create a separate utility that scans torrent files for files that already exist on your system (i'm not aware of any such util at present, if you are please let me know), but it really would need to integrate with your torrent program in order to 'link' the existing files into the torrent as it downloads

maybe on the add torrent window have a 'search for existing files' button that could scan specified dirs, and if it found a match then it wouldn't have to download that particular file

IN SUMMATION: being able to rename each individual file and put in a different dir BEFORE downloading isn't that important to me, but being able to 'link' existing files from several different dirs or to move/rename finished files while maintaining seed is

• 2 weeks later...
To Firon

Your post of Feb 15:

I dl-ed the 1.4.2. beta as you suggested, but it does not rename the files. ???

I use 98SE wit English US.

To Nefarious: You say one can rename files. How?

ammm, in new torrents and showing the bitcomet style dialog for new torrents u can chnage the name to whatever u want right over

when u have an already downloading individual file, stop it, right click, set download location then right click on the one u are already using click on "changename/rename" (dunno in english), then change the name and just click on "save" and there u go

...In your case, I think it may be another issue. Might wanna just install the foreign language support.

Could you elaborate on that?

How do you do it in W98?

and anyway, how do I know what lang. I need? It's only ?'s and *'s.

I tried it on a new torrent. No dice.

ammm, in new torrents and showing the bitcomet style dialog for new torrents u can chnage the name to whatever u want right over

when u have an already downloading individual file, stop it, right click, set download location then right click on the one u are already using click on "changename/rename" (dunno in english), then change the name and just click on "save" and there u go

Does it mean you suggest I move to bitcomet?

If the file name issue is not resolved in utorrent, I might have to.

no...

the "add torrent" window that appears when u add .torrent files is also called the "Bitcomet dialog window" or somethen, as far as i know Bitcomet doesnt let you rename multiple file torrents either

if u are not getting the "add torrent" window, it means u are using the "put new downloads in : folder" option, and not using the "show add dialog" one

no, im saying u can rename individual files in a .torrent and only if it is an individual file .torrent, the .torrent? yeah of course u can rename those, that is not even a utorrent specific thing, it's an OS thing, what im saying is u can rename the files on a .torrent only if it is a single file on the .torrent

Archived