Media Player trouble (non-µ related) can anyone help?

Demon-boy

OK this is nothing to do with µTorrent (or doesn't seem to be) but there's so many knowledgeable people here I thought someone could help. I use Windows Media Player for my MP3s and most of the time it's fine, plays great, doesn't use too much resources. But for some reason I can't figure out, sometimes it starts using 100% CPU and makes using the computer just about impossible until I kill WMP. Restarting WMP usually just makes it start 100%-ing again. Eventually it just 'fixes' itself. It always happens exactly 2 minutes after starting WMP too. It starts OK and behaves normally for a while, then exactly on the 2 minute mark, CPU goes to 100%. Anyone know what WMP does after 2 minutes?

I've tried various settings, nothing seems to affect it, just seems totally random. If anyone knows how to stop it, or just what the hell's going on, I'd be glad to hear it.

And don't just say get WinAMP :P Tried it, didn't like it.

foobar seems like way too much hassle just to listen to Parliament all day. I'll stick with WMP with the lovely skin that makes it look like Hal, even if it does go mental occasionally. Hey, just like Hal! "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't play that song" :D

Is there anything specific WMP does after exactly 2 minutes?

Demon, do u have it set to start in Media Guide? Go to Tools/Options/Player and uncheck "Start player in Media Guide" and "Connect to the Internet" (over rides other commands) Set auto updates to once a week or month. The download codecs option may or may not be a cause. Leave it checked for now.

The player doesnt really matter to me when using it for music. I use em mostly to see if my playlist are setup correct b4 burning cd's. VLC, WMP and Media Player Classic for me.

this is no good for mp3s but Windows Media Player Classic is the way to roll.

Start -> Run -> mplayer2

In other news, some of the original developers of Winamp (Rob Lord, noteably) are working on a new media center type program which brings iTunes to mind.. but probably doesn't eat resources quite the same. It's called Songbird. looks sweet. hopefully someone makes DAAP support for it along with a Party Shuffle style plugin, that way it could replace iTunes entirely on PC by looking the same but running much better (and looking cool as hell).

Archived