µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now in build 433 we have the classic status color signal. Why is it yellow when I have no torrents in the client? Shouldn't it be black or nonexistent? I have DHT enabled ... maybe it's yellow because I have no incoming DHT connections (which I shouldn't, there being no torrents in the client)?

disable DHT

close client

reopen client

signal still yellow

Well, going to have to (shudder) actually join a torrent and see if it turns properly green.

And it does turn green, once you start up some torrents, though I also wonder why it can't before that. Doesn't AZ on its status bar? It's a great way for new users to know that they have their port forwarded properly before they start downloading.

It's good to see uTorrent has finally gotten around to at least basic color-coding, though I note that the icons for the individual torrents are still blue and not color-coded. I seem to recall that in AZ, not all were necessarily green; one could be yellow, for example, which meant there were no seeders available; or red, which meant that there was something seriously wrong with the torrent. Or something along those lines.

Nice work with the automatic read_cache-feature.

Can you explain how so? When the release notes say "Auto detect read cache size," doesn't that mean a "-1" setting? Didn't it always have that? I can't recall, since mine is set on a specific (high) value. Not that I often see uTorrent make much use of memory for either type of cache regardless of how fast I get going.

the prio rare peices is what µTorrent will choose it's peice requests based on. so it mostly affects downloads. uploading depends on what peices a peer requests from you. since you have rarer peices that everyone else will want to download from you (if they too are prioritizing the rare peices) so yeah, it does work with upload. and i suppose cause and effect mean that if they want to download from you then you get to download from them so your download increases... takes some thinking through, but it's a good default option. very good for the swarm and overall good for download speeds.

From the last stable release this beta inflated 25 KB and as i saw this fact is the result of icons included, and not much for the functionality. Ludde please keep out the drawings, keep it micro, µTorrent was great even without those icons. Instead would be great to have proxy support for p2p communication.

@microuser: Umm, there have been hoards of feature updates. I seriously doubt it was the icons. Just look at this huge list:

http://www.utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.4.2-beta-build-434.txt

I mean, Ludde "only" added like almost every decent feature request we've asked for, plus new icons, all in 25KB more code. I think he's doing quite fine from the "micro" perspective. :P

-Ares

Keep the icons support in. ut looks great with the right icons, of course.

Well, you could strip all icons, strip the whole GUI and make a command line tool. I guess ut would be much smaller then, but nobody would use it.

IMO, stop complaining about some KB devoted to graphics. (It is not like ut is going to be coded in Java.)

This way the GUI looks nice and, i think, the devs are having fun making it look great.

Mugros, what do u mean saying Devs? there is only on dev and that's ludde

I'm pretty sure that ludde didn't make the icons, so in theory, more than one person was involved on adding/making the icons. I'm just nit picking though.

From the last stable release this beta inflated 25 KB and as i saw this fact is the result of icons included, and not much for the functionality. Ludde please keep out the drawings, keep it micro, µTorrent was great even without those icons. Instead would be great to have proxy support for p2p communication.

Not much for functionality? The beta introduced 2 things:

1) PEx - great for weak torrents and arguably patches the last major uTorrent deficiency vis-a-vis the giants of BC and Azureus.

2) Genuinely functional PE.

I do think, however, the icons accounted for like 9K (I swear uT was 141 or so the version before the icons and the version after those icons was >150K). Considering that the two giant features above used only 10K between them, I'd have to agree with you those icons weren't the best investment of valuable space.

It was about then I gave up on my anti-bloat position.

Disabled: Does not encrypt outgoing connections, but will accept encrypted incoming connections

Just joined in to say this seems kinda biased if they don't want us (people who can only use encrypted connections) to use their BW they shouldn't be allowed to use ours just like in bitcomet

so this should be

Does not encrypt outgoing connections, but will not accept encrypted incoming connections

thought that is kust my opinion :D just converted from BC :D UT kinda rulz :D

Archived