µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Stone: If you want to test the encryption, you can join the Test Torrent mentioned in previous pages of this thread. If you click on it and just get textual data, try right-clicking the link and saving it somewhere first.

Be sure to enable DHT and peer exchange for the test, as the tracker has some problems. Right now there's about 3 seeds and 2 peers, all µTorrent.

-Ares

Yes, it will. From the FAQ, "Disabled: Does not encrypt outgoing connections, but will accept encrypted incoming connections."

µTorrent build 418 and higher will *always* accept incoming encryption. You can only control whether you want outgoing encryption. It's been mentioned before in this thread, but this thread is so long, I don't blame you for missing it lol

-Ares

@Abigail: You're confusing diskio.read_cache_size with diskio.write_queue_size.

Judging by your previous posts, you're talking about diskio.write_queue_size. Usually it's fine to leave that at -1, and µTorrent will set the cache automatically based on how fast you download.

-Ares

Haha it's okay, I knew what you meant. =)

But yeah, leave it at -1 unless you really think you have problems. µTorrent automatically sets the cache size based on: "max measure download speed * 7."

And as the FAQ states, "If you would like to adjust this value manually, set it 8 times your maximum download speed in kilobytes, but try to avoid going below 1000, or above 32768 in most situations."

99% of the time, "-1" should be fine.

-Ares

skynetman and Stone are right but what they don't realize is the only solution to the problem is for the default for outgoing connections to change from "disabled" to "enabled". No other scheme will work without giving away that it is a BT connection. The client which initiates a BT connection speaks first. If it speaks without encryption, the ISP starts shaping. Game over. ISP wins.

@wormhole: No idea, I copied it directly out of the FAQ. I'd say people were having problems with 2-4 times, so Firon upped the amount a bit. Not to mention µTorrent itself multiplies by 7. So, if that isn't working, the next choice would of course be 8.

-Ares

But i want to know if connection is encrypted if incoming peer has encryption disabled when i have it enabled
Yes, it will.

-Ares

No, it won't. If an incoming peer has encryption disabled there is nothing whatsoever you can do to make the connection be encrypted. The only thing you can do is uncheck "Allow legacy incoming connections" which will simply not allow them to connect to you at all. You can still make outgoing connections to them that will be encrypted, assuming they're using one of the clients that support the new encryption, though.

I've an ISP which is throtling P2P speeds. Just wanted to say that I've tested the latest Beta and encryption made an enourmous difference! The test files download at around 3X the "normal" maximum speed, which is 20KB/s, or less. With more seeds, I'm sure this would have increased a lot more.

So, thumbs up to this new feature.

boo: IMO as long as you don't max out your connection, then your connection should be able to transfer the excess data due to encryption. So as long as you don't max out your connection, the time it takes to complete a torrent should be the same with or without encryption.

Archived