µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which means only throtled connections need this, and being not the majority of ISPs doing it, well it stays disabled :P

Actually, throttled connections need US to enable this...and they need it enabled to...for us to have 2-way full-speed connections with them.

There almost needs to be a flag to 'demand' an encrypted transfer, but at the same time that would be easily spotted by ISPs. So encryption by default is probably the best choice.

Alot more ISPs throttle than most people realize. And even the little ones that don't...often connects through a bigger one that does!

Siteck: If a connection to a peer is an encrypted one, it will send only encrypted data both ways on that connection.

The encryption set to default only makes it so your client doesn't make any outgoing encrypted connections, but accepts them incoming. (unless you uncheck the accept legacy mode checkbox, then only connections you can get are encrypted ones)

Nefarious:

If your ISP throttles bittorrent connections, set it to "enabled, always" and uncheck the "allow legacy incoming connections".

If your ISP doesn't throttle bittorrent connections, then just have it as "disabled" (for outgoing, still allows incoming encrypted connections, could choose enabled as µtorrent should try to reconnect if peer doesn't have encryption I think) and leave "allow legacy incoming connections" checked. ^_^

I believe it goes like this:

If you have your setting to "enabled" and the some of the peers are on an ISP that throttles, you will get an encrypted connection which makes your speed faster too! Eventhough your ISP does not throttle.

So I recommend the "enabled" setting for anyone. You will help others as well as yourself.

That is also why I was wondering why it is not the default setting in the Beta..

I hope a final release will soon be a fact so many people will use encryption. Therefore I suggest that the "enabled" setting will also be default. We would all benefit from that, even when your ISP does not throttle.

Seems to make sense doesn't it?

Any connection that uploads to you encrypted deserves an encrypted upload in return by default. This requires them to encrypted upload to you first before your connection will automatically encrypted upload to them.

Otherwise, throttled connections will likely suffer from high upload speeds and low download speeds.

If we don't help them, they won't/can't help us!

Any connection that uploads to you encrypted deserves an encrypted upload in return by default. This requires them to encrypted upload to you first before your connection will automatically encrypted upload to them.

Otherwise, throttled connections will likely suffer from high upload speeds and low download speeds.

If we don't help them, they won't/can't help us!

I'm also confused by this.

My ISP doesn't care what I do (frankly), as long as I pay the bill.

However, what Switeck says make sense - so what settings do I need to change in order to confrom with that ?

For example, on one torrent, I am connected to a peer who has "utorrent 141B" - but that peer is not getting anything from me - could this be related ?

Does it work when you turn it off? :P

Nope. Toggling it either way has no effect on the dialog box that pops up when I hit "..." on the "Add new torrent" box. (Just to establish that I know what this is suppose to do!) :D

It did in 1.4.1 412. It did in the 1.4 betas (if I recall correctly). Didn't in 1.4 stable.

Archived