µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one problem with this F7 selector: when you go back to the regular view (no categories) and you've selected any of them - you still cannot see the rest of the lines.

Ii should be switch back to "all" when categories-pane is NOT active, as before...

As I said - nothing bad about it, except that it does not show/remind you of your filter , like good old Kazaa (bellow) may be it is possible to display it on the title like: [All-traffic] [Downloading] [Completed] and so on...

Just an idea ...

kazza2be.gif

Just one problem with this F7 selector: when you go back to the regular view (no categories) and you've selected any of them - you still cannot see the rest of the lines.

Ii should be switch back to "all" when categories-pane is NOT active, as before...

Indeed, after all thats what the categories panel is for, to chnage between them so u are implying activating the panel that u want it to show by categories, but if u hide the panel is cauze you don want to see categories

Firon, could you please elaborate on this? I didn't get it. :|

Im not firon but :P

when u go into "File" menu when pressing "Alt" it highlights a letter from every action u are able to do, for "Exit" it used to higlight "E", now it higlights the "x" instead

In some cases I have participated in swarms where it took 50% of the time to get the last 1%.

The conditions:

- either very small swarms

OR

- larger swarms with very few seeds AND I have selected only certain files from the torrent to download

It would seem that utorrent should use "prioritize_rare" in those cases, and not in other cases. This seems like something the computer should figure out instead of the user - it's all math.

In normal, healthy swarms, it may reduce your speeds.

In very poorly seeded swarms, it may help you out. In general, I'd say not to turn it on unless you're in very poorly seeded swarms.

Could we then have this feature added for each individual torrent? I mean, I don't want to have to enable or disable this option everytime, based on the swarm size or speed. Plus, I usually download more than one torrent, so if they differ greatly in swarm size, doesn't that mean that enabling the rare piece priority will help one torrent but hinder the other?

Nefarious, it does just the reverse, actually. Rarest first increases overall torrent speed in this fashion: If you request only rarest, once you get one piece, all peers connected to you will want it. This will allow you to trade with many more peers which will in turn allow those peers to trade with many more peers as well.

Rarest first is intended to increase piece distribution and while it does so, it increases trading between peers. Increasing trading by definition increases speed. As it is doing this, seeds will be asked fewer duplicate pieces and will save bandwidth as a result. This saving in bandwidth can then be used to further increase piece distribution and further increase overall torrent speed. If you don't get it from a seed, you'll get it from a peer through trading. If you do get it from a seed, it will be rarest and you will trade it, distributing it but also redistributing the seed's bandwidth.

Example

Seed gets request for same piece from 10 peers. Seed's bandwidth is 100kB/s. Each peer gets 10kB/s but since they all get the same piece, they can't trade with each other so they only get 10kB/s total each. Seed's bandwidth is divided only.

Seed gets request for different pieces from 10 peers. Seed's bandwidth is 100kB/s. Each peer gets 10kB/s from the seed but since they all get different pieces, they can trade with each other and get back up to the seed's maximum UL bandwidth through trading. It is this trading between peers that distributes pieces throughout the swarm but it does something else, it redistributes the seed's total bandwidth between peers. Seed's bandwidth is divided first but then multiplied back up through trading.

Rarest first is a fundamental principle of the way BitTorrent works. It increases piece distribution. It increases overall torrent speed. It reduces seeds' bandwidth waste. It increases availability throughout the swarm. By ricochet, it increases torrent's life time.

...Rarest first is intended to increase piece distribution and while it does so, it increases trading between peers....

Martin, thanks for the good explanation! Let me ask your opinion , if I may, about another case:

Let say I want to be able to pre-view a DLing file ASAP. Do you think it is possible to have a BT client try and download pieces (almost) sequentially ? or at least try and give priority to pieces "closer" to the beginning of the file ?

Archived