µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm downloading the fifth part of a 6 part series and the first four downloaded fine. So I don't *think* it's a poisoned torrent, and I'm using an up to date ipfilter.dat. It's a pity the logger doesn't list the peer the failed piece was from.

Though the log window does list Banned 0.0.0.0, and I'm up to 8 hashfails in 10.5 hours.

On my end it can't possibly be poisoning because I don't download music or movies or software (really). It's got to be bad hardware/configuration on my end or a remote end because I can get hash fails on the openoffice torrent.

I'm going to experiment with MTU set at 1400 on the router and Windows later tonight after work, see how that goes.

AOL used to, may still, require a MTU of 1400, and 1400 was recommended in the past by some routers due to the overhead involved in some protocols like vpn, pppoe, etc.

If anyone wants to experiment, remember you have to set it in BOTH the router AND windows. Try it really low, like 1000, just as an experiment. Ethernet max is 1500. PPPoE max is 1492.

I was getting plenty of HashFails with 426, and have now had 6 in the last 2 hours with 427 on a 350meg torrent. so the problem doesn't seem to have gone away. I don't think I ever saw any with 1.4

Mark

I see similar behaviour, 6 hashfails with 427 on a 250 Mb torrent on a small private tracker where I very rarely ever see hash fails. uTorrent 1.3/1.4 was never giving problems on this tracker before.

Well changing the MTU to 1400 didn't do anything.

I'm on a torrent with 200 seeds and 206 peers, and the piece size is 512 kb. I'm still getting hash fails.. it's already banned 1 ip.. the thing is though, all the pieces are making it to me on that torrent.. because someone else is sending them to me..

So I don't know what to think here.. problem my end or other end? Best way to test would be to plug the computer into the cablemodem directly but that's not really an option right now.

Trying to do research into problem, saw this on a webpage:

"A piece failed hash check, re-downloading it

This is a benign message, you can safely ignore it. It means that you received a piece of the file that didn't check out as being correct, so it will be downloaded again. Probable cause of this might be someone incorrectly using the "skip hash check" option. If this option is incorrectly used on a not-yet complete file, the client will send pieces to its peers that are not correct and fail the built-in hash checking routines meant to catch such errors."

Except I get fails from folks reporting 100%.

BTW, that someone has a 100% status doesnt mean he wont send you bad pieces, as they can get damaged in the way

Or that user might not really have 100% but could be falsely announcing as such (perhaps unintentionally). For those of you sick of hearing me bring that up: yes, that's my single biggest peeve.

Force re-check was useless in this case as the file itself wasn't corrupted.

However, I am pleased to announce I finally got that missing piece..

After I turned IP Multicast Streams off in the router, it downloaded the piece without a hash fail.

So here's to hoping that with the bigger rwin and yet more stuff turned off in the router, it'll be fine from now on.. hopefully.

I'm way too tired so I'm going to bed. I'll try tomorrow wiht other stuff and see if it fails on something again.

Archived