µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relevance is a column in Peers list.

It is the percentage of the torrent that a particular peer has that you do not yet have.

For example, if the number in the column is "2.1", then that peer has 2.1% of the torrent that you do not already have.

Due to the distribution of pieces throughout the swarm by seeders, a peer may have a small total amount, yet have a larger "relevance" than another peer that has a lot of the torrent.

How many more days?

Actually, it doesn't make any difference.

If you think it is ready and stable, just use the beta.

If you don't think it is ready and stable, then you appreciate that more time is needed for testing.

Either way, just suddenly declaring that it's an official release doesn't help anything.

@TheDude: It sort of does make a difference for us shaped users. Because as soon as it's an "official release," hundreds of thousands of µTorrent users will be presented with the option to upgrade, and therefore support encryption. So all these torrents I've had queued up for months now, going at 5KB/s, will suddenly jump up to 300KB/s+ ;) (And yes, there are quite a few µTorrent peers in my torrents, but none of them are betas.)

BUT, I in no way am advocating a push for a release. Ludde will release it whenever Ludde feels like releasing it. Which I'm sure will be when he's thoroughly tested it and is confident that everything works as designed. You guys have seen the changelogs, he obviously is still finding kinks in the latest builds. And there's no reason we need to pressure the man by asking for a release date. He'll release it when it's ready. But I'm just saying, the encryption is why everyone, including me, is greatly anticipating the release date.

Just think, if Ludde releases it now, and suddenly there's a fairly nasty bug discovered, that might cause people to downgrade back to a version of µTorrent that doesn't support encryption, or worse, switch from µTorrent to another program altogether. Though I hope that wouldn't be any of us, but still, it could happen. So yeah there are very good reasons for Ludde taking his time. Patience is a virtue, and good things will come to those who wait. :P

So basically, let us all anticipate, not demand. =)

-Ares

@Skynetman: You could always disable incoming legacy connections. That, and I'm fairly confident Ludde is working on a way to solve that problem. I have no proof, but I'm just judging by the "Debate over Protocol Encryption" thread. But this might just be why there isn't a final release yet - because he does indeed care. ;)

That, and I enabled encryption the second I saw it was a feature. I think as soon as people see the changelogs (if they haven't already), they will use encryption as well. But regardless, all you have to do is Force encryption and disable incoming legacy connections, and then you're sure to be encrypted.

-Ares

Ares - that is why a new build should have one of:

- Bug Fixes of previous build

- One New Feature

One of the problems of today's software development is too few builds mixing up too many code changes. Then you have more difficulty finding the bugs, and more importantly, the fixed versions then get new bugs from the new features, with the result that hardly any version is stable.

That said, utorrent has been somewhat better in this respect than many other programs.

I say this as a professional software engineer, with over 35 years of coding experience.

Now, wait, when it says "Fix: Don't behave incorrectly if 0-byte files are deleted by the user", is that addressing my problem with 0-byte files? =\

I guess I can test it out... this fix should fix the problem I had, but, well, I guess I'll find out. :P

w00t for teh new betaz !!!!111 :D

you're probably on a torrent that also has a person who was using the older beta where the PEX privacy was broken, so the X's you see on your list come from receiving users from said person. So it's not the new beta that's broken, it's the old one, and you'll see instances of it until everyone finally updates.

Bug report from another message:

"Eek, I just turned verbose on in the log and then unchecked it but it's still scrolling away madly. Definitely a bug there.

Interesting.. seeing Disconnect: no such torrent go by here and there in the log."

and

"But how about this though.. in the logging at :00 it banned an IP and then 30 seconds later it banned the exact same IP again twice.. If an IP is banned, then logically it should be for longer than 30 seconds right?

Hmm it did it again, banned a different IP and then 6 minutes 25 seconds later banned the ip again?"

Archived