µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, it's been established that it was probably something ludde overlooked ;P

Sidetrack...

Whoa > 1.25 million, excluding beta? That's really impressive...

So I was Googling "torrent" earlier to see how easy it was to find torrent sites (someone was asking about where to find torrents), and discovered that µTorrent is the third site listed. Yet another impressive feat, considering µTorrent's only been out for about 5 months...

One more time:

A torrent starts out by downloading.

When it has completed downloading, then it starts seeding.

It then seeds until it reaches a certain ratio (typically 100%, aka 1:1).

At that point, it is finished.

Those are 3 different states. It is not finished until it has seeded for the specified time or the specified ratio.

These states are already acknowledged and identified in the "STATUS" column.

So, to define them differently in the Categories is just plain weird.

Actually this is not entirely accurate. The finished status is identified in the "status" column only when you stop a torrent that is seeding. I have torrents with ratios of 50,100,200 that are still showing as "seeding" because they are still running. (and I think that this is the way is should be)

the adoption of encryption seems to be pretty strong right now. I was on a torrent connected to 5 seed and 12 peers.... seven of those were encrypted.

is peer exchange set up that you'll accept peers from others even when you haven't got it checked? I continue to see the X beside peers on some torrents even though I 'disabled' it.

not all people you mean, i still have some seeds that i run from time to time since are "rare" torrents, so that one would never be "finished" in TheDude's definition, i surely wouldnt want to be looking for the same torrent in different categories all the time

as hofshi said, i also think that is the way it should be, and what do u know, it is currently :P

In the Official utorrent FAQ, it says:

What do all these BitTorrent terms mean, such as seeder, snubbed, etc?

See BTFAQ.com's Definitions of BitTorrent Terms

On that page, it says:

downloading

Receiving data FROM another computer.

This clearly means that stopped torrents are not "downloading".

On the same page, it also says:

Once your client finishes downloading, it will remain open until you click the Finish button (or otherwise close it.) This is known as being a seed or seeding.

note "until".

It is "seeding" until you click the "Finish" button, when it becomes Finished.

The Status column in utorrent uses the terms:

Downloading

Stopped

Seeding

Finished

as four different things. Having the categories use the same words to mean different things is bad design.

BTW, it seems that the words that some of you are looking for are Incomplete and Complete, which is actually the words used throughout the P2P world for what the two categories are in F7.

This discussion is just a debate over semantics.

It may or may not be an important debate, but it certainly has nothing to do with "bad design"

Except that the same words are used to mean different things in different parts of the program.

That is the "bad design" part.

In the Official utorrent FAQ, it says:
What do all these BitTorrent terms mean, such as seeder, snubbed, etc?

See BTFAQ.com's Definitions of BitTorrent Terms

On that page, it says:

downloading

Receiving data FROM another computer.

This clearly means that stopped torrents are not "downloading".

On the same page, it also says:

Once your client finishes downloading, it will remain open until you click the Finish button (or otherwise close it.) This is known as being a seed or seeding.

note "until".

It is "seeding" until you click the "Finish" button, when it becomes Finished.

The Status column in utorrent uses the terms:

Downloading

Stopped

Seeding

Finished

as four different things. Having the categories use the same words to mean different things is bad design.

BTW, it seems that the words that some of you are looking for are Incomplete and Complete, which is actually the words used throughout the P2P world for what the two categories are in F7.

I agree, those categories should be renamed, or new categories should be added.

Erf while I agree that the wording is inconsistent (I had been pondering about it while I was playing with the categories), it's not that big of a deal, and having 4 dynamic categories would lend itself to a quite a bit of confusion, IMO. Way too much movement through all the categories. Two is good enough -- unfinished, and finished (I know it's not labelled as that).

Archived