µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheDude, that's what I'm saying: http://www.bittorrent.com/bittorrentecon.pdf sections 2.4.2/2.4.3. In fact, it will produce normal healthy swarms.

Having this feature turned on should indeed help the integrity of the swarm and thus makes the torrent last longer, but it does not necessarily speed up the download for an individual. In fact, in most cases it--and depending on how it's implemented--will slow down the speed for the individual.

Firon, does changing this option take effect immediately or does it require a reboot? i.e., in the middle of downloading, can it be turned on or off and it's effective immediately or does it require a restart of uTorrent to make the change take effect?

Also, I think it's a better idea to have this as a function to turn on and off per torrent like DHT/PEX rather than a global setting. As another user has mentioned, one might be downloading several torrents and one of the torrents may require the feature and another torrent may not need this feature turned on.

Hope Ludde is reading. Thanks!

WOW, okay, the new beta (427) has an awesome new feature, that little "category" bar off to the left side...

My only question is... why wasn't this noted in the changelog?! :o

ammm

--- 2006-02-12: Version 1.4.1-beta (build 424)

- Feature: Determine the values to show in the speed popup list automatically.

- Feature: Category list to filter main torrent list.

- Change: Show up/down arrows in listview headers

- Change: Rearranged some stuff in the settings dialog

- Change: Add FAQ to the help menu

cause it isnt exactly new? :P

AntiLeech, read the PDF carefully, the date on that document is may 22 2003. uTorrents' own implementation of rarest first is a few days old.

You wrote: "In fact, in most cases it--and depending on how it's implemented--will slow down the speed for the individual."

This is a contradiction. You can't make a case for "most cases for the individual" if it actually increases overall speed for the swarm. The swarm is composed of a multitude of individuals and what's good for the swarm is good for the individual.

I'll give you a short history of the various piece request schemes, there are few. Rarest first was the very first piece request scheme, it worked then, it works now and will continue to work better than any other piece request scheme. Users eventually wanted the ability to preview individual files, first/last was then added as an optional piece request scheme. uTorrent started out without rarest first but with first/last scheme. It also had a distinct piece request scheme (50% availability) that was eventually found to cause seeds' bandwidth waste. Rarest first was then added as an option the user could turn on or off.

First/last piece request scheme was a compromise to please the user base while it reduced swarm performance for the individual's benefit. uTorrent's original scheme (50% availability) was also a compromise and it also reduced swarm performance for the individual's benefit. Any piece request scheme that can request duplicate pieces (pieces that exist both in the swarm and on a seed) wastes bandwidth that could otherwise be used to increase the swarm's overall performance and each individual's performance by extension.

Perhaps the slow down you experienced is due to rarest first. That's a simple function of your upload speed. What you give is what you get. The more you give, the more you get. That's how BitTorrent works.

I've explained several times why people want more download speed, it's simple really. They have more download capacity than upload capacity and they want their money's worth. ISP's sell users download capacity, they also sell servers upload capacity. That's the business model. With BitTorrent, that business model doesn't work anymore because your individual performance (and the swarm's performance by extension) with BT is determined by your upload capacity, not your download capacity. The simplest solution is to get more upload capacity. Ask your ISP for more. Visit www.broadbandreports.com and check which ISP's are the fastest, you'll find that some of them sell very good synchronous Mbit services that compete with cable and DSL providers.

If you had a 10Mbit/10Mbit connection, you wouldn't even care how much you uploaded since you could upload as fast as you wanted in order to download as fast as you wanted. With that speed, you could trade with 50 peers or more. Tit for tat.

ML

It must have been changed to "on by default" then, because I fired up the new beta expecting a bug-fix release, and found this new bar on by default! It kicks ass, but I'm wondering why it wasn't mentioned in the changelog because I moved from 426 to 427 and voila, a change! :P

Firon, does changing this option take effect immediately or does it require a reboot? i.e., in the middle of downloading, can it be turned on or off and it's effective immediately or does it require a restart of uTorrent to make the change take effect?

Don't quote posts before yours please.

It must have been changed to "on by default" then' date=' because I fired up the new beta expecting a bug-fix release, and found this new bar on by default! It kicks ass, but I'm wondering why it wasn't mentioned in the changelog because I moved from 426 to 427 and voila, a change! :P[/quote']

Yes, I just noticed that too. upgraded from 426 to 427 and there it was on the left, turned on by default. Just press F7 to get rid of it.

It would be good if the rare- file- priorize can be turned on for single torrents as requested before.

But also an automatic detection wich of the modes should be used.

So the automatic is for default and can change to on and off.

I dont think it should be too hard to implement the automatic detection

Or am I wrong?

It would be good if the rare- file- priorize can be turned on for single torrents as requested before.

But also an automatic detection wich of the modes should be used.

So the automatic is for default and can change to on and off.

I dont think it should be too hard to implement the automatic detection

Or am I wrong?

An automatic system would be cool.

I'm not so sure the hash-fail bug has been fixed..

I just now looked at my log, and I counted 30 hash fails of the same 1-meg piece over and over with multiple bans of a whole bunch of ips, but the torrent finished.

On another torrent using 2-meg pieces, I count 6 fails of different pieces rather than repeating the same pieces a couple times. Only 1 ip got banned so I don't know if it was responsible for all or not. Too bad in a way, because it was the seed.

I still can't rule out the router of course as Azureus had it's problems with hash fails too.

I will experiment by switching to 1.4 for the rest of today and checking the log when I come home.

I have reset all the 'advanced' options back to the original 1.4 defaults.. we'll find out I guess in a couple hours or so.

Update: Still making fails.. Even though my MTU is set correctly, I wonder if it would make any difference if I dropped it to an arbitrary lower amount.

Firon and Ludde, I just want to say that as much as I might disagree with certain aspects of how uTorrent is morphing into, I really do love this little (small size) BT client. With each passing day, I like it more and more. And while I don't detest BitComet as you two seem to, I am using BC less and less. Only on torrents where I can hardly acquire any peers will I resort to BC. Otherwise I stick with uTorrent as my main client.

I just wanted to say keep up the good work. Both of your constant efforts are duly noted and appreciated.

I was running 1.4.2 BETA (Build 426) yesterday and got a lot of Hash Fails..

Now running 1.4.2 BETA (Build 427) and have not had any on a 1,4 GB torrent

Keep Up The Good Work :cool:

Edit: Have to say.. Speeds a bit weird.. I´m only able to use 30% of my bandwidth even though (Build 425) manages to use approximatly 90% on the same torrent

Archived