µTorrent 1.4.2 beta 435

Firon

This may have been mentioned already, but I couldn't find it. I noticed that the "Stopped by Scheduler" message no longer appears when µTorrent is, well, stopped by the scheduler lol :D

But anyway, just wanna say thanks to Ludde for this awesome version. Quite a great job!

Ps. the speed problems I've reported before (in previous versions) have vanished. Just noticed that. Very very cool!

-Ares

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The upload speed decrease I reported earlier is gone. I was uploading at 70k. Then when using the latest beta with PEX and PHE (Enabled (all traffic))enabled, my speeds dropped down to 20-25k. Then they bounced around between 25k-50k. But it went back up to 70k after letting it run for about 5-15 min. Been running at 70k+ since midday yesterday. (70k is my upload cap that I set.)

I havent tried the latest beta for testing download speeds yet.

On the protocol encryption - Is there a real reason NOT to use it? I've skimmed the thread (Tried to find Azureus' docs on the subject but no luck there) but I'm still kinda confused.

It seems that some answers are "it creates additional overhead" but just as many are saying "the overhead is very minimal."

Is there any reasons other than the (however minimal) overhead not to enable it? And regarding the overhead, just how much, approximately, is expected?

Because it can have potential issues and takes a lot longer to ramp up because not that many people have µTorrent beta 411. You should probably not use it until the stable release unless you're explicitly testing it, or are getting throttled...

The main overhead is when you try to establish an encrypted outgoing connection but the peer you are connecting to doesn't support it. I originally imagined the handshake would fail very quickly and immediately fall back to the traditional protocol. That's not how it works. There is a significant delay before the connection is closed and retried without encryption. So if you are in a swarm with a bunch of other clients which don't support encryption, it will take you a good while to connect to them and start exchanging data.

At least that's how I interpreted what I saw when I tried it.

The ideal candidates for testing it out would be Shaw customers in Canada. From what I've heard they are severely shaped. But they gotta find some torrents populated with other people running the beta in order to derive any benefit.

Shaw and Rogers both suck ass, according to most members here. And in my peer tab, I see almost exclusively Rogers when I'm downloading/uploading to a Canadian. There's just no way of contacting them, of course. Maybe someone with one of these ISP's needs to create a "Calling all screwed over peeps" thread... :/

Shaw and Rogers both suck ass, according to most members here. And in my peer tab, I see almost exclusively Rogers when I'm downloading/uploading to a Canadian. There's just no way of contacting them, of course. Maybe someone with one of these ISP's needs to create a "Calling all screwed over peeps" thread... :/

I agree, I'm on telus. Everything's good except the speeds are terribly slow (relatively speaking). I've heard Shaw's worse.

I've noticed the ''remove and'' -> delete .torrent + data, doesn't work properly

When you've downloaded a torrent, that makes a directory on your harddrive...the delete function deletes only the data and the .torrent file.. not the directory.

Is that a bug or a ''new'' feature:P

Archived