Loosing connection to internet

mazze

Vista ultimate, micro Torrent 1.8.3 beta

I too am losing my internet connection. It started pre this beta and only happened occasionally, usually taking several hours like downloading overnight. Then into this beta it happens more frequently and maybe just a coincidence it seems more so in this final one that I updated to, 1.8.3

The only way so far that I have found is to do a total restart, to restore my connection. It only happens on this computer and only when running the latest versions of MicroTorrent. None of the other computers on the network are effected

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!

I have the same problem.

When I open uTorrent for downloaded, my browser don't open any site. That is, if I have to open uTorrent, I don't have the Internet in the browser. Just off the uTorrent and that everything returns to normal. But programs such as, MSN or MIRC are okay. But when I turn the browser to navigate, I cannot open a single page. And this, without being to make downloads the very high speeds.

Any help, please!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I upgraded to 1.8.2, μTorrent kills my network connection at random intervals, and I have to reboot. I had no problem with previous versions, so I think all my settings are OK, I don't need to patch TCP/IP, etc. Until the connection dies, my d/l and u/l speeds are fine.

I'm sure μTorrent is the culprit, because when I uninstall it, my network connection stays up, but when I reinstall and run μTorrent, the connection soon dies (sometimes after five minutes, sometimes after a couple of hours).

When the connection dies, it's not just my internet access, but my computer's connection to my network. Windows thinks it's still connected to the network, but it can't identify my workgroup or find any other computers on the network. Vista's "diagnose and repair" function just tells me it can't fix the problem and to contact my network administrator or ISP, but the network is fine and my other computers can get on the web without trouble.

Running "ipconfig /release" works, but "ipconfig /renew" gives me the following:

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con

tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 2 : The wait op

eration timed out.

Running "ipconfig /all" after that gives me

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DR-MEMORY-VII

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media unoperational

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-B9-46-46-5F

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ****::****:****:****:****%**(Preferred)

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : ***.***.***.***(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-00-60-0F-E8-00

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : ***.***.***.***(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{3344202A-6B81-4631-9154-C80F38087

2E2}

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.Future Fair

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Any ideas? What other information can I give you?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Jim Crutchfield

Long Island City, NY

Thanks, Switeck. I admit I haven't run through all the steps you provide in your helpful guides, because the trouble only started when I upgraded to 1.8.2, and it stopped when I unloaded 1.8.2. Previous versions of μTorrent worked fine, and if I could download one of them, I would, but I don't know where to find them.

As it stands, I'm back to Azureus Vuze, which is a hog but doesn't crash my internet connection.

I should mention that the dying internet connection isn't the only problem that went away when I unloaded μTorrent 1.8.2. I was also plagued by a monitor that wouldn't wake up from sleep mode (that is, monitor sleep, not computer sleep), and by the frequent inability to shut down Windows normally. Both of those problems went away when I ditched μTorrent.

In general I greatly prefer μTorrent to Vuze, and would like to be able to use it, but the current version gives me too many head aches. Maybe I could fix it by going through a lengthy trouble-shooting process, but it's much simpler just to go back to Vuze for now. I'll check back in a few months and try μTorrent again.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Regards,

Jim Crutchfield

Long Island City, NY

Well, when the stable version of 1.8.3 comes out, I'll try it and your recommendations, but up to now all I can go by is what I see happening. I'm using pretty much the default settings on Vuze, and it gives me no trouble at all as far as I can tell, and my former problems have gone away. Vuze hogs resources, but I have resources to spare most of the time. I don't like all the flash and the ads and so on, but it beats having to hard-start my computer several times a day.

Anyway, thanks Switeck for all you do to help us ignorant users. I'll be back on μTorrent before long, and then I'm sure I'll need your help again.

uTorrent version changes are always a work in progress, and many of the betas are more stable than earlier full releases. "Testing" betas only proves difficult if you have a crappy software firewall that pitches a fit every time uTorrent's exe changes.

Your problem is ALMOST CERTAINLY a severe compatibility issue due to hostile (often commercial!) software on your computer. But we cannot confirm that without HijackThis and/or Process Explorer logs.

Thanks, Switeck. I'm always happy to help if I can (and when people explain what they want rather than just criticizing). When I have a few minutes, I'll run HijackThis and Process Explorer and post the logs. Do I need to be running μTorrent when I do that, in order to give you useful information? Do I need to be experiencing the problems? Or will it be enough if I run them now, with Vuze running?

Archived