Official Thank You thread

silverfire

Hi you peoples , just thought me would say what a good thingymabob you have made up there with Utorrent , tis me first go at torrents and stuff (recently landed here from earth) , me tried different ones this week and had a few dramas with the old ports and stuff , and was about to give up and me came across Utorrent , me thinks can be no good as too small a download/program , must be cr@p , anyways first go Utorrent worked and is very happy with the stuff , so , good onya peoples me do not know how you do it!

Very impressed , can we have noises to please , me likes noises and flashing lights .

Thanks .

• 2 weeks later...

So glad you are happy. My first also at torrent stuff, but can see real needs for improvement...!!!! Things that do not work make me go Ummmmm!~ At best... for now I only consider it a "half fast" program. Would like to say why, but really must learn more.

Just not a happy newbie

Double post not allowed...umm. Edit:

OK you win!!! Now I find this new torrent stuff very interesting. I do think it border line legal??? Program is very well done, and works great!!! I do think the UT feature should just be automatic. Feature that would be great!!! A list checker...what's that????...lol. Something that "makes a list of things I have already downloaded, and sets to skip for new stuff if duplicated". (hope you get the idea)

Very GOOD PROGRAM...tyvm...iyq

• 2 weeks later...

Now, for any other program I may find a sticky 'Thank You' thread a little presumptuous, but I fully agree.

I'm a BitComet convertee and I find the lack of bloating and and the amount of options in uTorrent very pleasing. It's also using ~0-1% CPU usage whilst running 5 torrents. Now try that with Azureus!

Thanks for the program, best of all it's really tiny!

• 3 weeks later...

Sincere thanks to all responsible for uTorrent.

It's a rare and joyous experience these days to find software that is compact, fully functional, quick to install, (install?!?), and update, does what you expect it to do when you want to do it, and doesn't associate itself with half the registered file types already on your system!!

And curiously, most of the software I've found matching that description is free! Work that out! There's no justice...

Anyway, once again, thankyou! The very best to all your future endeavours.

Regards,

Bert

As others I have been an Azureus user, then after finally realizing that I can't play Crysis with a 130MB program running in the background, I found BitComet 0.60 (yes, THAT version). It was *nice*, but I wanted a dedicated Bittorrent client, not a BT client + a HTTP download manager. I've search around for blogs and this "uTorrent" keeps popping up. I first had doubts about how a program that small can perform so much. So one day I tried to download it...oh 200 KB! That's the whole thing? You bet. Fired it up...there is no installer!

The thought of "Azureus clone" first went into my mind when I saw the Availability and Downloaded bars and the Peers and Pieces tab. But then again, what Azureus implemented, uTorrent perfected.

Small, simple, fast, gets the job done. I've done some marketing buzzwords for my sig for this client :D

Never looked back at other clients again! (I'm using the 1.8 alpha/"beta" now)

A big thanks to everyone who is using, developing, and spreading this great software.

Rest assured I'm spreading the word. I've converted 5 of my classmates, and the net admin in our university (an Azureus fan) is next! Wahahaha!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thank whoever made this client. This client saved me quite a bit of time doing a whole bunch of crap that I may have not wanted to do.

I have done tests when I was younger and found that µTorrent was the best.

First off... Azureus Vuze was a good client, but it contained Java. If I used Java, the computer would have an unstable registry causing it to crash. It was a user friendly client, but unfortunately it contained a lot of bloatware. I was able to capture some speed and it was around 125/35 for my internet (@ ~ 80% speed).

BitComet 0.60 was not very good (or 0.59). It had a massive download rate but it showed some unfair upload rates that happened. It also contained bloatware (a couple of user friendly options that used a lot of space). Second, It contains adware (or so I have heard from Wikipedia). Third, there were not many options that I could use in addition to the bloatware. Furthermore, It tricks the computers into thinking that it will seed/upload and therefore cause the swarm to slow down overall. Another bad thing that I heard from Wikipedia is that it has that "Padding" that will keep the BitComet users up to speed... but it has caused other clients to slow down. By the way... BitComet 6.0's last speed ~ 135/15 @ 80% speed for a good tracker... but for a poor tracker, it was ~ 95/35 @ 80% speed.

BitTorrent Mainline could use some more user friendly things, but I think that Python did not allow it to go that well. No other complaints on the original client. Speed ~ 130/30.

BitTornado was not bad, but it was not very user friendly (too many windows!). And it has no updates for over a year now. I quit that client about a year ago. It was good in the fact that it tried to reject the BitComet users and that was what I liked about it. And it was not a very big client. But that was pretty much it. Too bad that it was based on python... it does not seem that Python would have too many user friendly features.

Limewire/Shareaza do not count as a BitTorrent Client as itself. Both of them are not bad, you just have to be careful. It is full of bloatware and other features that I don't like.

µTorrent is the best by far. It is user-friendly enough to the point where it is nice, not a pain in the butt (Word 2007 for example, is a pain in the butt for me). It has many of the features like trackers (I'm using µTorrent 1.8 alpha/1.7.7 and switch off to the latest version), and it regulates many of the things that I want in a client, like all of the download and upload information, speed data, pieces and how much of it is done (that is a big help to many of my problems), logger, options, and is not full of that baloney that is caused by bloatware.

Thanks for making our lives easier by making the this client. Continue and I will try to get the latest stuff and see if there are any problems. :)

I'm also spreading the word to many of the people that participate in the clubs that I have in my school. I also have passed on some of the information to my family, and one of them is addicted to this client (particularly because of the easter eggs that are in here).

I've got 45 years of technical programming experience (anyone remember paper tape?), I have an international reputation in my field for producing good programs, and I would like to congratulate the developers for a simply beautiful piece of software.

Its highly functional, clean and balanced. A really nice job.

Just signed up and wanted to say thanks to everyone thats posted FAQS and Guides. I was a suck leecher before.

but did some research on how to help my download speeds and learned a ton from this site. and set up port forwarding and ratio's etc! I'm now getting great speeds and giving back 1.5:1 share:get ratio set up.

Keep up the great work

Endless thanks and kudos to the fine folks who developed UTORRENT.

What can I say? So many reasons this program ROCKS:

1) it consumes so little in system resources

2) it coexists peacefully with EVERYTHING

3) it does not offer obnoxious ads, or autostartup garbage when you boot, unless you ask for it.

4) it is SO intuitive, no directions necessary - Adobe could learn a lot from you

5) almost every feature you think "gee if only i could do this..." is built in

6) so easy to hide, so boss might think i am actually working

7) almost as much fun as sex, and I don't have to buy it dinner or dance first.

I recently survived a major hard drive meltdown, and UTORRENT was even painfully easy to recover full data from after the crash - all my torrents started right back up as if the drive had never died.

A thing of beauty.

Thanks so much guys - you should now set your sights on developing 2 things the world needs:

1) a better EBAY, without their dumb rules and PAYPAL police

2) an operating system that is as transparent and easy to live with as UTORRENT.

You guys could NEVER work for MICROSOFT, you are TOO good! Hidden files, files you cannot copy while the system is running - builtin "SYSTEM RESTORE" function that does more harm than good - and they dominate the market - unbelievable.

And they get paid, and you don't????

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for an excellent program.

I have an old machine and even it barely knows utorrent is running.

I am NOT a pc expert. I downloaded utorrent, followed the port forwarding suggestions and I was up and running in less than 15 minutes.

Simply amazing.

Congrats and thanks again.

Best of luck to all of your futures,

nealkas

Archived