"open containing folder" - does not always focus-select on file

rafi

when you "open containing folder" of a torrent's and the folder was not already opened, uTorrent opens a window for the folder and focuses/select on the downloaded file.

BUT, when this windows is already opened and with another file selected/highlighted - uTorrent brings this window to the front, but "forgets" to re-select the file.

I can't reproduce it with Vista Home.

Because even if the containing folder is already open in a window and the focus is on another file, using "open containing folder" opens a second window and focuses on the good file (in the case of a torrent with 1 file).

Doesn't look to me like a µTorrent issue -- more like an Explorer issue.

When µTorrent tells Explorer to select a file, it tells it by using a commandline parameter (meaning a new instance is supposed to get the parameter, not the existing instance). If Explorer decides it already has an instance of that particular folder open, and refocuses the existing window instead, it doesn't bother to pass the "select" command to the existing window. The result? What you see.

Sometimes, Explorer does open a new window (even if the folder is already open), sometimes it doesn't. That'd again be an Explorer problem/inconsistency (which probably lies in exactly what folder path it's given in the commandline parameter), but it's likely not something µTorrent can/should bother trying to hack around, honestly. Unless there's some nice way to force Explorer to open a new window.

I like it that way (opening the existing window). they should just - "hack around" and find the proper command to re-focus on the file in this case. I remember sending them a sample command at the time that it did not work at all, so maybe I was not so accurate ... ;)

edit:

my guess is there might be a difference in XP and/or Vista in using the /e parameter. I tried again, and it does open existing window if the /e is NOT used and opens a new one if it IS used. Perheps it is since I do not use as my default - the default folder view .

Those two references might help:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/43384/Command-Line-switches-for-Windows-Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q152457

Using Explorer's /select parameter is the proper command for focusing files, and is exactly what µTorrent already uses.

Attempting to circumvent Explorer's inability to pass parameters would be tremendously ugly, as it would almost definitely require that µTorrent search through every open Explorer window to see if the target directory is already open. If not, call "explorer.exe /select,...", if so, perform some kind of Win32 listview API call on the existing window's listview (probably not homogeneous across all versions of Windows). Yuck.

I'll try to make my self more clear: after testing, it seems to me that adding the /e parameter will unify the behavior (opening a new window). Just that I don't like it... so better leave it as is...

Archived