Firewall issues AFTER uTorrent is shutdown

b-morgan

I'm not having problems with uTorrent itself but rather with continued connections to my firewall the day after I have exited uTorrent.

I will start uTorrent to download, for example, a new distribution of Ubuntu. I usually leave uTorrent running for between 8 and 24 hours after my downloads are complete. At the end of this period, I exit uTorrent (and maybe I'm not doing this correctly) by right-clicking the system tray icon and clicking Exit.

For the next 24-48 hours, I will have a spike in my firewall logs consisting of between 10-40 times the usual background of blocked connections. After this period, the activity returns to normal. The incoming ports are not to the one port (6112) I've assigned to uTorrent, but to other ports high in the port range.

Is there anything I can do to eliminate this spike in attempted connections?

Nope. It's just something that is pretty much inherent in the way BitTorrent works. See this thread for details.

Edit:

The incoming ports are not to the one port (6112) I've assigned to uTorrent, but to other ports high in the port range.

Hm, that's actually odd, but even still, it's not really something anything can be done about (just like you can't really stop people from calling the wrong telephone number).

Archived