Local Peer Discovery

raytaylor

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up a local cache on the network. I am a student and my parents own a set of villas that myself and about 8 others live in and we are heavy internet users. Our internet is usage based billing - $1 per gb and we get a discounted rate overnight.

Currently, I set Azureus to download files overnight, that I predict that the users will download the next day. Each user is behind a router and their own address space. On the wan side of the router, i have it connected to a switch, proxy server and Azureus caching pc.

When someone goes to download the file, The clients pc is programmed to automatically add 10.1.1.2 as a local peer and download from there first, rather than peers through the internet. The goal is to pre-download files overnight at the cheaper rate so that the internet bandwidth cost is less.

I am wanting to get uTorrent to do the same thing but all I can find is a tick box for local peer discovery, not a field for programming a specific ip address.

2r3ywl4.png

Here is a link to a bigger diagram that isnt resized http://i40.tinypic.com/2r3ywl4.png

From what I understand, ticking the box in uTorrent will only tell it to scan for peers in the 192.168.1.x range, where as I want the clients to automatically add 10.1.1.2 to the local peers list. Does anyone know if this can be done?

The reason is that Azureus uses alot of ram and resources on the caching pc when it is set to share more than 10 torrents at once. uTorrent seems alot lighter and would work well for what I want it to do.

Local peer discovery in uTorrent is restricted to clients that respond to multicast. The way your network is currently set up does not permit that (because of the routers in each villa).

There have been many requests for manual definition of local peers and such. The best you're going to be able to do at this time is catch the announces or torrent downloads with a proxy and inject the peer information of your cache or set up a local tracker and inject the announce url of it into the torrent.

Ok - I heard an ISP was doing that in the middle east by adding their own tracker into the torrent file being downloaded.

I have another question then.

If I run uTorrent on the cache server, and azureus on the clients, is the azureus / vuze lan peer finder and uTorrent's local peer discovery compatible with each other?

If so then i could still run uTorrent on the server and azureus clients can still be forced to connect to it.

Archived