static ISP & Clearwire

speedy7575

I am new to utorrent and bit torrents in general. I installed utorrent and it said my ports don't work. As I have been troubleshooting this I discovered I have no static IP address. I can pay an extra $10 a month for my ISP Clearwire to give me an static IP address. Will this solve the problem? I use XP Pro. I did some tests online and it says that my Clearwire does not appear to be throttling my connection. I think the problem is the static IP address...

Clearwire -> computer works IIRC. As long as you're not ALSO running your own device in between.

TAKE NOTE: Clearwire does not like heavy usage-- at ALL. You must use xx/96 settings or lower in the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G).

I'd recommend evaluating how much you'll be downloading, and seeing whether you can reasonably do that by only running uT 6 hours a day or less. For that you'll need to configure the Ctrl-P > Scheduler

Ok thanks for the responses. Here is what I got so far: when I do ipconfig: 3 things are there: IP, Subnet Mask, and Gateway. for IP 75.92.y.y

I just orderd the static IP from Clearwire. To set it up I am supposed to enter the MAC address of the equipment I want to use. I'm not using any equipment besides there dumb wireless modem, LOL.

What can I do because uTorrent says I need a static IP?

UPDATE:

I just did some research and maybe I am supposed to use the MAC address of my network card in my PC. ???

Archived