UDP and TCP incoming packets after exiting uTorrent?

xiphrex

Hi,

I tried to do a quick search on this issue but cant find anything about it.

When I exit uTorrent after downloading/seeding a torrent, my router log shows that I still get incoming UDP and TCP packets associated with the port that I use for utorrent, like this:

Thu, 2009-05-07 16:02:04 - UDP Packet - Source:90.xxx.xxx.xx,123xx Destination:79.xx.5.1xx,xxxxx - [utor rule match]
Thu, 2009-05-07 16:02:14 - TCP Packet - Source:78.xx.128.xx,61xxx Destination:79.xx.5.xxx,xxxxx - [utor rule match]

(some numbers in IP addresses and ports replaced with x as I dont know if there are implications to posting this on a forum)

"utor" is the name for the service that I created on the router (netgear DGN2000) to open a port for utorrent.

This keeps happening every 10 or so seconds until I do a manual reconnection of the internet to get another IP address (dynamic IP here).

Anyone know whats going on and how to fix it?

It's part of how this whole peer-to-peer works. It's dynamic. The only way to let people know you stopped seeding, is to ping you and get no reply. The influx generally increases proportionally to the number of swarms/peers/peer connections you make. It lessens after an hour of not using uT, then again after a couple. Though if you're seeing connection attempts after 24 hours, those might be interesting peers to check out.

All connections impact things like latency. Unless you're getting thousands of attempts, which overload your router, without having uT open and accepting the connection is like knocking on your front door and not answering when you're inside.

I actually recently got into an argument about this. I showed normal ping / response between 5 random sites chosen (with AdBlock Plus, of course, flash is unnecessary for the test).. without load, with load, and with a tool those spammers use to open multiple connections. Ever have svchost.exe use 20% of your CPU and then remove a trojan/virus.. yep you were being used to send spam, same idea. Only when the spam process was running and bombarding the recipient computer with traffic requests was anything negative happening to the experience.

Archived