Very inconsistant speeds

WiseguyNL

I'm having a strange problem with Utorrent lately. It doesn't occur all the time and it's not torrent-specific. Here's the speed diagram: speedufu.jpg

As you can see, every 30 seconds to 1 minute(the time varies, often it's every 5 minutes) the speed drops to 0 and then jumps back up to it's regular speed, basically cutting my actual speed in half.

I'm on a 100mbit up/down internet connection(Onsnet Eindhoven, the Netherlands) with a Sitecom WL-306 (wired) Router. All my ports are forwarded properly. My firewalls are all disabled.

Another question: Why are some torrents much faster than others, even though the seed/leech ratio is much lower? Some torrents download at 4.0 Mb/s, while others struggle at 50 Kb/s, even though they both have healthy ratios and plenty of availability.

General speed inconsistency is reliant on peers' decision to upload. With enough peers I guess you could keep it constant but it would be a burden on your end to keep making so many. What Ctrl-G (Speed Guide) settings are you using?

The graph brings to mind some changes made recently to the new line, what version of uT are you running? Would you be willing to run a beta version to see if it makes your downloads more even?

OT: It is never a good idea on a Windows machine to be on the Internet unfirewalled but your sitecom router acts as a hardware firewall which you probably already knew :P

The graph looks like your download is falling all the way to 0 briefly.

That's most like some serious network issues.

Many consumer networking hardware and software CANNOT handle lots of connections at once.

1st link in my signature.

The speed doesn't go all the way to 0, it goes to about 5 kb/s. I haven't changed any settings recently and a few weeks ago I managed to get 11.5 Mb/s, so I guess my networking hardware should be able to handle it.

My current settings are actually lower than the recommended settings in Utorrent for 100 mbit, becasue I like to be able to still browse the web while running utorrent. Here they are:

Upload limit: 1000 Kb/s

Upload slots: 30

Connections (per torrent): 125

Connections global: 1000

Max active torrents: 25

net_max_halfopen is at 160 (and patched properly on Vista)

My computer has been awfully slow lately. Could it be a harddrive problem, instead of a networking problem?

WiseguyNL said, "net_max_halfopen is at 160 (and patched properly on Vista)"

Did you check to see that Vista isn't getting lots of 4226 errors because of that?

Vista's half open limit would need to be 200 or more for uTorrent's net_max_halfopen to be set to 160. ...But it's really pretty pointless to set net_max_halfopen that high if uTorrent isn't firewalled (has the green light.)

jewelisheaven, for 100 megabit/sec upload settings...my chart is even more "insane" than uTorrent's Speed Guide xx/100Mbit! :P

I have the half open limit patched to 255. What value should net_max_halfopen be at in Utorrent? I have never gotten a 4226 error.

My settings don't really differ that much from Switeck's recommended settings. I can't find anything on advanced settings in these forums. Are there any I should take a look at?

I still have the same problem. The only value I had changed was net_max_halfopen.

I saw a message saying Disk Overload 100% in the bottom of the window(I was running Popcorn Audioconverter, though, so that could also be the cause). That can't be good, right? This seems to be a similar problem: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=56930

Unfortunately, he didn't post what he did to fix it. My drive is not running PIO.

Archived