Updating torrents (new format)

MokonaModoki

I am aware that the following suggestion requires a whole new file format, but if not developed by a respected client, it will not be a success. I do expect any credits or anything else, this is just something that would make my life easier.

Currently, there are tons of torrent packs out there, with for example albums of an artist, articles from magazines, tutorials for various programs, episodes of certain tv series etc.I think it would be really cool if a number of hosts could create a torrent like "Photoshop toturials by xxxyyyzzz" and then be able to update the torrent by adding new files (editing and removing would be harder).

Instead of downloading new torrents and then spending 3-4 mins every time on checking which files you already have and which are new files for you, simply have one "torrent", which sometimes pops up, updates the file list, and asks you if you want to download the changes.

This would also encourage people to not just remove their torrents as soon as what they've wanted is downloaded

Thank you for reading

Mokona

If I understood your suggestion correctly this would force you to keep the files you have already downloaded in the default location, otherwise uT won't be able to check which ones you already have when downloading an updated torrent.

In my case, as soon something finishes downloading, I move it to its proper location, like "Pictures" or "Music".

I am fully aware that it is not possible with the current format which is why i suggest it as a new file format, call it .torrent2 or whatever. If it was possible to do it for current torrent files, I'm sure someone would have done it already, but making new formats popular is not an easy task - hence I'm writing here and not trying to make it myself :)

Yes seyss, there would also needed some new form of file handling. Although this could be resolved by stating in which folders the files mentioned in the "torrent" are stored. Or you could simply just specify an option that tells you when new files are added to the "torrent" and not care about already downloaded files that are not in the folder.

The goal is basically to be able to get updates on a filegroup so you dont always have to browse through homepages and search for specific names just to see when the latest file was uploaded

pretty much, yes =) Bringing it to a bit higher level. It's just that torrents are static which makes them easy to handle, but annoying if you every week have to visit sites to get them. It's just a suggestion that would make my life easier as mentioned.

I can just as well create a bot that searches through a torrent site, checks for name and date, and then downloads it if it matches my criteria. But i'm very sure that many would be very happy about this.

Archived