How to discourage abusive bitcomet users

wirubi

I really getting annoyed at some bitcomet users. They upload so little while they leech so much. Aside from the occasional responsible user, the above is the regular behavior.

I tried using ther IPfilter feature but some just connect back again with a slightly different IP address so back to square one.

It's a shame μTorrent has no easier way to ban or at least discourage these bitcomet users.

How do other uT users solve this problem?

Ban a range. Even with "Kick and Ban", they can get around it by using a different IP. Ludde doesn't want any Client-based discriminator on his client. Are you sure it IS the same guy?

Now, to be fair, my experiences with BC guys aren't that horrid. Very often a BC guy is my biggest source. Just last night a BC guy gave me most of a 200KB/s+ download (very good by my averages). I wonder whether that means the Man is more important than the Client :D

I wrote a script that sniffs my bittorrent traffic for bitcomet clients and adds them to my firewall, then removes them twenty-four hours later in the hopes that they've switched clients. Don't bother asking for the script though, it's very much non-portable.

Like Kazuaki Shimazaki said though, sometimes they're one of the biggest sources or even the only source. Blocking them on an individual basis isn't a very good answer to the problem, I do it because I'm a bit of a prick.

Yeah, on the torrents I download, bitcomet clients are behaving too. Upload/download figures are of the same order every time, I have nothing to complain about :).

The occasional 200KB/s bitcomet seeder like for Kazuaki is also nice :).

Maybe it's related to popularity of certain torrents/trackers where more leechy behaviour is present?

my advice would be to just forget it and find a better use of your time than staying in front of your peer list, staring at who does what...

µ isnt that dumb and he'll favorise upload to the peers that send you data, proportionnally

occasionnally some lamer will get 10 MB out of you... well; no need to commit suicide for that!

:lol:

Personally, I wouldn't want to ban all BitComet users since they usually make up at least 30% of the swarm...

I only use private trackers, and a few of them have allowed BitComet back on, as long as they have the newest version. As far as I know, the newest version has fixed the DHT problem it had... And to the best of my knowledge, simply using BitComet alone doesn't allow a person to get around the fact that they must maintain a good ratio, so why should I worry?

occasionnally some lamer will get 10 MB out of you... well; no need to commit suicide for that!

Not that it's worth 'suicide' over...what if a BitComet lamer gets 68 MB from you and the other 30 peers get at most 704 KB from you?

Or better yet, a BitComet client gets 386 MB from you and the other 40 peers get at most 12.2 MB from you?

On a very big torrent, I once had a bitcomet leecher leech 500 megs off me, before I cut the bastard off, in return he sent me around 200 Kb :P

But, I rarely cut bitcomet leechers off because I know that there's alot of people out

there whose got a crappy async connection, but 500 megs vs 200 kb is WAY over the line.

But, of course, once the torrent is finished, the blocked ips are returned into the "trusted" pool

again, simply because having a huge ip list does more damage than good.

When I'm seeding on large torrents for long periods of time. Like 2 I'm doing right now, 500+ leeches and only 100 seeds. I'll use Azureus, I have the stuffer plug-in and a huge peer remember list set, 512 at the moment. So I can seed to all the other clients that were getting cut off by BitComet. I do this when I decide to be a jerk after watching my upload for a little while and looking at peer stats. Seeing the BitComet users getting hundres of megs from me while the others only get a few kb gives me all the reason I need to be a world class jerk to them.

FYI, after an hour on one of those torrents I had over 1,250 banned BitComet/BitComet based IPs in my ban list.

Not that it's worth 'suicide' over...what if a BitComet lamer gets 68 MB from you and the other 30 peers get at most 704 KB from you?

Or better yet, a BitComet client gets 386 MB from you and the other 40 peers get at most 12.2 MB from you?

A problem with this thinking is that your visibility of the network as a whole is AFAIK almost nonexistent. The BitComet guy might be giving away your 68MB elsewhere, and that's why the other 30 guys are only getting 704K from you - the other 67MB they got from that BitComet "lamer" and/or from each other (after said "each other" got pieces of Mr. BC). Are you sure the other 30 guys aren't progressing because of the observation you are making from a very limited POV? If they are progressing well does it matter so much WHERE they got their data?

After all, I'm pretty sure that most BC guys (as with users of any client) just tend to follow the basic rules - you know, the one that says set upload to about 80% of max speed - and then try to download. The worst mistake they'd make (knowing human nature and BC's less than perfect Auto Upload-Slot Management) is try to download from too many torrents at once (it doesn't take a genius to realize that you'd probably get a better total DL speed DLing 2+ torrentss at once), but that still means they are uploading at the best speed they can when you take all the torrents into account.

Another problem is to think of this in inverse. On the day when Mr BC0.56 gave me 200K, the others put together gave me maybe 10K, and this is not quite a one-time-only story. Of course I'm uploading my share as best as I could to the guys I'm connected to. Does that mean the others are stiffing me and I should use PG to kick them off?

Or better yet' date=' a BitComet client gets 386 MB from you and the other 40 peers get at most 12.2 MB from you?[/quote']

Are you sure the other 30 guys aren't progressing because of the observation you are making from a very limited POV? If they are progressing well does it matter so much WHERE they got their data?

In the case of the 386 MB BitComet, I was seeing 40 peers out of 87. As far as I could tell they were progressing...but this isn't always the case, as the "I feel so used ..." thread here points out:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5181

BitComet sux, that's a fact, but if there is an good user he'll surely seed at least while ratio reaches 1, what means it'll give what he has downloaded to others, what is bad, probably, to other BC users. That's not good because it creates something like "two groups" in swarm, BC group, and the "other" (maybe there is azureus group too, i dunno that).

What is strange, that now i have sorted peers of one torrent by upload, and it looks like this:

ut5ba.jpg

I thought i'll see bitcomet on top, but as you see it's mainline :)

And that BC0.61 peer doesnt look like leecher ~15minutes after taking screenshot

Archived