Upload speed problem

francisc1701

Hi!

My connection:

According to the ISP -- 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up (cable)

According to http://whatismyip.com/speedtest/index.asp (New York server, closest to me) -- 7766 Kbps down, 936 Kbps up

The problem:

For a few weeks now, on and off, uTorrent would seed for a while at 115-120 KB/s, then go as low as 50-65 KB/s. ("A while" = anywhere from a few minutes to hours) This happens without anyone modifying the upload limit, which is set at 120 KB/s (I'm only uploading and hardly browsing the web).

I don't know if this started happening right after I updated to 1.8.2, but I am sure that none of the older versions (1.6.1 - 1.8.1) behaved like this. Version 1.8.3 beta build 15358 does this too.

I've been doing some speed tests today and it seems that I actually have about 120 KB/s available, it's just uTorrent not using it for some reason. While uTorrent was seeding 1 torrent at about 55 KB/s, the above-mentioned speed test reported 61 KB/s upload. (I suppose I'm not making a mistake adding the two and concluding that I do have that much available bandwidth, am I?)

The torrent I'm seeding has 255 peers (leechers) in swarm, with 37-40 connected. Starting another completed torrent to seed doesn't help, the overall upload speed remains more or less the same.

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 60

Upload slots: 5

Protocol encryption is enabled. Can the ISP still detect bittorrent traffic and kill it? That would explain why the speed test can use the available bandwidth while uTorrent can't.

I'm using a port over 60,000, it's properly forwarded in the router. uTorrent shows a green light.

No software firewall, antivirus, no anti-nothing. This configuration (computer, OS, router, ISP) has been fine for more than six months, until a few weeks ago.

In case it matters:

HP Compaq 6720s with Intel T5470 Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB DDR2, Intel 3945abg wireless card, Kubuntu Hardy 32bit, Wine 1.0

Linksys WRT54GC wireless router, WPA2 encryption.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

The wireless card drives could be buggy.

Wine may need to be updated to latest DEV version.

Linksys routers often have VERY bad default firmware.

You failed to mention your ISP.

ISPs can detect BitTorrent traffic by unencrypted traffic.

Even if everything were encrypted, the sheer number of connections (and incoming all to 1 port) is almost a dead giveaway.

Archived