iPhone application - rejected

marforic

I'd like to share this post with you guys: http://www.cloudgoessocial.net/2009/05/19/µmonitor-rejected/

I've been working on a native iPhone application interfacing to uTorrent for a while, but apparently Apple doesn't like the idea. I will try to contact them and see how that goes. I think that the only way for us, iPhone users, to go is to have a small-web-ui enabled on the machine that's running uTorrent.

This is for anyone who was thinking about a native application, so that he/she doesn't embark on an adventure without end for nothing...

I will update you on the status if there's any update.

Best regards, and thank you for the attention.

Thanks for sharing your experience (bad as it was). It looks like your first reply is the earliest seen from Crapple except for the first (never acknowledged uRemote) posting last fall.

This was mentioned a while ago http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=409445#p409445 and with some searching i do remember neckaros louish and singleton's attempts at iphone apps.

Here's to hoping Apple actually replies to you :/

I think that the only way for us, iPhone users, to go is to have a small-web-ui enabled on the machine that's running uTorrent.

Likely so, as it's guaranteed not to fail or be rejected. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but FWIW, µTorrent MiniUI already fits that purpose quite well, and works on most modern mobile devices with decent, XHR/AJAX-supporting browsers -- Apple's Mobile Safari included. Oh, you already did link to it :P Didn't check the links carefully enough, sorry.

It really is a dumb decision on Apple's part. To categorize anything associated with BitTorrent as "used for infringing" is a large, sweeping generalization that can be used to ridiculously categorize just about anything else.

Thinking... it often leads to criminal acts.

@jewelisheaven: davidraso/neckaros' and singletonio's projects were actually created more-or-less in the same vein as MiniUI -- they use the browser, and don't attempt to be native iPhone apps.

Given that at least two applications were involved in identical decisions (Drivetrain for Transmission, and now µMonitor for µTorrent), and the decision took 4 months to reach, I seriously doubt a resubmission is going to change a thing. A four-month delay for a decision seems all too long for it to have been made arbitrarily, at some random reviewer's whim.

The only hope left for these category of applications would for Apple to overturn their decision, which I find highly unlikely, given...

@moogly: http://muzisoftware.squarespace.com/

The BitTorrent feature is going to be removed from Trackr, apparently. So not only are they blocking new applications from supporting BitTorrent, but now they're retroactively targeting previously-accepted applications. This confirms the fact that Apple is going on an all-out purge/persecution against BitTorrent.

Archived