HELP me please!!! Speeds were 500 kb/s + and now are 8kb/s

richr74

Hi there, im very very new to all this as i only download utorrent this morning.

I started downloading and had something around 10 downloads going at once with a total download speed of 500 kb/s plus.

Then after 5 - 6 hours of super quick downloading all speeds plumeted in a matter of minutes to 8 kb/s. However when i was looking around i clicked on "Logger" and at the same time of the "plumet" happening it came up "IP address banned" (or something on those lines).

Have i done something wrong, if so what? How do i fix it etc...

P.s. after looking around the forums i dont know if my share ratio is too low or something.

My Stats are:

Total Uploaded 656 mb

Total Download 7.52 gb

Share Ratio 0.088

Only 2 download completed and i removed them within half an hour. Then rest are still ticking along at 1.2 kb, 4.2 kb 0.8 kb etc........(total of 8 kb/s)

No offence but i have no idea what you just said, Can you explain that in idiot language.

Im really not too good with all this and as ive said ive only had it for a day and am not fully sure what i am doing?

ALso does me having a share ratio of 0.088 have anything to do with this?

Press F1 in uT to open up the manual.

To directly answer the question, NO they are not related. Unless the only peer you connected to was the one who got banned.

Share ratio of .088 means you have shared 8.8% of what you downloaded. You have uploaded only 1/12 of what you have downloaded. Keep your upload near your line's rated speed.. Use Switeck's 2nd link once you run a speedtest while shaped by your ISP to see how fast you can send data.

As long as you are uploading near that amount you can't hope for anything faster since your ISP has a policy inplace to disrupt and/or shape (interfere) with your traffic during x hours of the day. It appears to be 7p local according to the other threads lately.

understood everything but "Keep your upload near your line's rated speed.. Use Switeck's 2nd link once you run a speedtest while shaped by your ISP to see how fast you can send data"

also i understand that from 7pm onwards (roughly) the speeds mite slow down but im just back from work and since 8am this morning until 3.13pm (now) it has not gone above 90 kb/s looking at the speed tracker. i understand that this is not bad compared to some peoples but i did have 500 kb/s on 2 occasions now lasting 6 - 8 hours each time. both of which have been between 10pm & 9am overnight.

OK. So to upload the most when you're not being shaped by the ISP, keep your upload near the speedtest value for UPLOAD. Switeck's chart helps to balance both throughput with connection settings which can cause problems and unnecessary overhead.

So at max, you use the XX/512Kbit settings not xx/8Mbit since XX refers to download (8Mbit) make sense?

I'm not sure what to say about the continual shaping during non-peak hours. If you double check the documentation on your ISPs site do they mention a quota policy? Whereby you are limited daily after a certain transfer until the next- day or billing cycle?

Archived