webui timeouts until i manually restart it

mikrofile

i am using webui on a lan to remotely control utorrent on the "server pc" in a different part of the house that gets regularly rebooted once a day. the problem is that a lot of the times after restarting, i have to go over to the server myself and in utorrent's options disable & reenable webui for it to start working. this always solves the problem, but if i don't do it, then trying to access webui from my pc timeouts as if webui (utorrent) wasn't running at all. this does not always happen after a reboot, it does most of the time though and rarely it starts timeouting even without a reboot, until i cycle webui again. any ideas what's going on?

ok i'll try that when it happens again. not sure it'll help though - i'm accessing webui through my browser (ff 2&3, opera & chrome all behave in the exact same way) and when the problem occurs they all timeout when trying to open the webui page as if the server was down, which of course it is not.

thanks again... i'll try forcing the error in a while to get it logged, but of course as per murphy's law just now that i went out of my way to reboot the server, i was able to connect without a timeout. the possible difference is that now there were some active torrents running, while usually the reboot happens at a point in time when all torrents have been already dl-ed & seeded properly and are thus not active, usually stopped. this is the only difference i can think of that is present after a regular daily reboot when utorrent usually idles for a few hours before my first webui connection attempt which timeouts (as do all future attempts until i do what i said in op). it's as if this idling puts webui/utorrent into a kind of sleep mode in which it doesn't respond to my calls. keep in mind though the server never goes to sleep and at the same time that webui timeouts, the server itself responds on all other "channels" (file sharing, im, ping...).

i do have the webui restricted to respond only on the proper internal ip which is fixed/static (all my machines are connected through a router, each with its own static internal ip).

You mean you leave up the WebUI session indefinitely with torrents stopped? I know or at least I've never experienced a problem with long-term sessions on empty WebUIs... not so sure about your situation with no data activity on populated ones. If you could think of any more information about the situation feel free :D

well i wouldn't say indefinitely... by the time the server gets rebooted usually all torrents i left running the last time i checked through webui have been stopped (not a lot of torrent traffic going on here anyway, a few torrents per day max and at least a day or two per week none at all). then from the time my server is up again with utorrent set up to start automatically on it (which it does fine), until i first try to connect to it through webui, 4-5 hours have passed on most days. so unless utorrent still has to finish dl-ing or seeding a torrent after the reboot (very rarely since they're relatively small), it is idling for said 4-5 hours. on the client side i don't leave the webui session open at all. i close the browser tab with it every time after i'm done managing utorrent.

Archived