Downloads ok - can't seed to improve my ratio on private trackers

demon8ball

I've been using uTorrent for a couple of years now - only recently i've started to use a couple of private member only trackers and i've been warned that my ratio is only 0.4 and needs to be 0.8 at least. I have tried adjusting the settings to seed for longer and a bigger ratio but not having any luck.

I've also tried limiting the download speed to less than the upload speed but all that does is keep the same ratio of around 8:1 download to upload so my upload drops to nothing.

What can i do to improve this - i have less than a week to get back up to 0.8ratio and i'm happy to leave my machine uploading all day if needs be.

Cheers in advance

Well firstly, you can change the torrent properties to -1 for the queue settings. -1 as a % ratio means "seed indefinitely". Secondly, the best bet is to limit your download on these new/popular torrents to give yourself a chance to send more data. You're probably competing with people who share at symmetric 10/10 Mbit per sec or worse 100 Mbit/sec

I'll give that -1 a try thanks.

I'm not worried about competing with anyone, i just don't want the hassle of being kicked off and trying to rejoin with different aliases.

I'll give that suggestion a try and post back with results. Thank you for your help

If you're not getting the green light at bottom in uTorrent (meaning uTorrent isn't firewalled), then firewalled peers and seeds cannot connect to you. Worse, even unfirewalled peers and seeds cannot initiate a connection TO you -- they must wait for your end to attempt an outgoing connection to them. On public torrents/trackers, this is just annoying and slow...on private trackers this is a near-guaranteed BAN sentence.

Do you know if your ISP (Sky in UK?) is disrupting/throttling BitTorrent traffic?

(...as this can make seeding really hard.)

Archived