Drop down menus instead of side bar

Slater

With the current side bar (in utorrent version 1.8.2) where is shows the labels, downloading, active, inactive, completed, etc. I've noticed at the top of the toolbar where the download, pause, stop, etc buttons are located, there is usually a large amount of space between the preferences button and the search textbox. I was thinking of using this space to put dropdown menus for 'downloading' , 'active' , 'inactive', etc. The icons will look the same next to the text but with like an arrow to open the menu. In this case the menus will consist of the torrents related to the category. this can eliminate the need for the side bar.

Another idea i would like to suggest is to allow users to be able to view two tabs at once. Where the tabs acutally begin perhaps halfway down to the bottom of the interface have another set of the same tabs. The second set of tabs could also be used to view other active torrents with like a drop down menu next to them to select the torrent to view.

My last idea i would like to suggest is to allow users to change the display of the size of data left to download. This may include changing 1.43GB to 1464.32MB. Another change regarding the remaining download size left is whenever the size is still in the 100+MB region it doesn't display any decimals unlike when the remaining size is >100MB. What i would like to see changed is when the remaining amount of data left to download is in the MB's region (100 MB < x < 1024 MB) there will be 2 decimal places afterwards. E.g. 234.41 MB.

• 8 months later...

I understood the proposal above as to replace this:

utorrentold.jpg

with this:

utorrentnew.jpg

And I cannot support it more! I was actually going to suggest the very same thing myself and found this old request.

If someone would prefer to keep the Category List - that could be an option (in 'Advanced' section?)

But for me (and many others I believe) it wastes too much space. And toolbar drop-down is a way better.

I do not suggest it as a 'change' but rather as an 'addition'.

Say, for example, drop-down might be displayed on the toolbar when sidebar is invisbile and vice versa (i.e. F7 would switch between sidebar and drop-down).

Right now if I show sidebar select some category/label and then hide it - the list is not reset. It still shows only selected category/label but there is no visual indication for that. And toobar drop-down would at least give a clue (even though it cannot reflect multiple selection properly)

no, not dropdown. that require more clicking, the opposite of what we need. OP just wanted tabs, like firefox or IE style across the top. Takes up FAR less space than the massive sidebar, and still only requires one click to access anything.

Space could be saved by replacing completed with the check, downloading with the down arrow, etc, so only labels would take up the full text space.

/ All \ / √ (31) \ / ↓ (2) \ / ↕ (5) \ / Demonoid \ / Upload \ / Archive \ / etc....

Displaying tabs => one torrent less on the screen.

And what about those who have 10+ labels (and some RSS feeds)?

And drop-down on the toolbar does not have these two problems.

But I do not insist. I just don't like current space waste with sidebar.

(however, unlikely I will use tabs; hopefully it will be possible to turn them off)

Tabs can scroll dawg. Lrn2firefox. lol. same system. Gives you room for 3 more columns. Since most people sort by columns, the dont care about the torrents showing up at the bottom of the screen. So what if theres one less? I'd prefer 3 more columns to one torrent less on the screen any day. I hate having to scroll over to look at data, scroll back so i can see torrent names, forward again to check the data again, and on and on. Carpel tunnel man.

So you want to replace one scrolling (columns) with another (tabs)? Very smart

"Since most people move most important columns to the left they don't care about the ones remaining at the far right"

It seems you don't get it. I don't like sidebar either.

(and it's carpal tunnel syndrome, not carpel)

Archived