UK Internet Service Providers

Nightmare1213

BT totally throttles your speed. There were times I could barely surf the net between 5-9pm, especially on Friday. Forget about downloading at those times. I called them out on it, threatened to switch providers, and I haven't had the problem since. I had sky internet for a little while and the problem was a lot worse because they rented BT's lines. If you are in a medium size city or larger, you might be able to get Virgin's cable internet; which has speeds up to 50mbs, but I don't know how bad they throttle it. Honestly, I haven't heard anything good about any of the UK's service providers.

-Later

Yeah kinda. They provide internet service, but they are more of a mobile service. The thing with the UK is that everybody tries to get their hands into everything. Tesco for instance is a a grocery store that sells insurance, cell phones, internet, vacations, gas, electricity, and even funeral services. I am assuming that Orange rents or leases BT's lines as well. BT's only real competition is Virgin and they use some of BT's lines too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived