Legal torrent collection

schnurlos

Collection of legal torrent sites, resp. links to sites with collections. :D

Feel free to post missing or important sites or links with a short description, but take care they are really free and legal (and not copyright protected, otherwise the post will be deleted and you can get banned too).

For individual sites have a look on the "Misc Links" at the end of this post too.

Linux

Slackware (utorrent's testtorrent) one of the many Linux distributions, is great to test since it is hosted on dedicated servers. It will max out your internet connection within a few minutes (10-15 on average).

Knoppix is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).

Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating system. This operating system that we have created is called Debian GNU/Linux, or simply Debian for short.

Office

Open Office (utorrent's testtorrent) is a free, open-source, multi-platform, multi-language office suite. Like Slackware, it will max your connection very quickly, not to mention being a useful application to have around.

Movie

www.vintagenewscast.com

This blog dedicated to vintage / Public Domain entertainment and recorded history. It also focuses on the developments for Creative Commons and Open Source Media. The blog centers around fans of nostalgia and culture. Visitors can get quick insights to various people, films and events of the past. I have many valuable resource links on other Public Domain and Creative Commons sites; in addition to links on the Open Source/free media movement.

In addition, I deliver a free video and audio podcasts via itunes. The podcast is also dedicated to all Public Domain / Vintage Television AND recorded history. Every Sunday is a new download. It will randomly consists of a full-length movie from any genre (horror, sci-fi, etc.), historic speeches, music, rare clips, vintage commercials, classic service announcements, documentaries, and rare audio recordings.

It is my goal to build an archival collection of the most DIVERSE Public Domain movies, Creative Commons, Open Source film, and historical works in one podcast feed for itunes~ipod media. This has become a huge hobby of mine and it gives me great pleasure, to research and share these extremely rare and historic memories with other fans of vintage history!

Members that do not own a video ipod MUST use QuickTime movie player, or any apple compatible player to watch movies. Also, any good audio player will play mp3 files.

Steal This Film I & II is a film series documenting the movement against intellectual property produced by The League of Noble Peers and released via the BitTorrent peer-to-peer protocol.

mariposaHD is the world's first High Definition TV series distributed directly on the Internet. And it's free. mariposaHD is recorded, edited, and distributed in the full 1920x1080 pixel resolution of the 1080i standard. We distribute mariposaHD using the BitTorrent peer-to-peer software.

Music

U2 Registration necessary. NOTICE: No officially released material is allowed.

etree.org This site is provided by the etree.org community for sharing the live concert recordings of trade friendly artists. Please tell your friends and family about new bands that catch your ear, and support these artists by going to see them live and buying their CDs!

Spoken Word

Radio Archive as the site says "the place to come if you are a fan of spoken-word radio. This site deals primarily with content from the British Broadcasting Corporation, but if you have quality spoken-word material from other radio networks then you can post it here."

Registering required but free.

Art

The Canadian Pirate Tracker, or CaPT(Captain) is a creative commons torrent tracker, formed by the Pirate Party of Canada (PPoC) in order to promote artists over an efficient and inexpensive global distribution network. All material entered into CaPT is under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License, which can be found here. CaPT is not for profit, and no revenue is generated by the use or existence of the project. Its sole purpose is to allow artists to reach the global stage.

Misc Links

legaltorrents.com As the name says: A collection of legal torrents and links to.

newteevee.com Ten sites for free and legal torrents.

trylegaldownloads.de Links to free Games/Movies/Music.

global-skynet/torrents.php Links to free Films/Games (Linux+Windows+Mac!)/Software/Trailers.

EDIT: some following posts included

Movie

Steal This Film I & II is a film series documenting the movement against intellectual property produced by The League of Noble Peers and released via the BitTorrent peer-to-peer protocol.

mariposaHD is the world's first High Definition TV series distributed directly on the Internet. And it's free. mariposaHD is recorded, edited, and distributed in the full 1920x1080 pixel resolution of the 1080i standard. We distribute mariposaHD using the BitTorrent peer-to-peer software.

• 1 month later...

Spoken Word

Radio Archive (http://radioarchive.cc) as the site says "the place to come if you are a fan of spoken-word radio. This site deals primarily with content from the British Broadcasting Corporation, but if you have quality spoken-word material from other radio networks then you can post it here."

You have to register in order to download but it's free and I've never been spammed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Web Browser

Opera is a web browser and internet suite developed by the Opera Software company. The browser handles common Internet-related tasks such as displaying websites, sending and receiving e-mail messages, managing contacts, IRC online chatting, downloading files via BitTorrent, and reading web feeds. Opera is offered free of charge for personal computers and mobile phones, but for other devices it must be paid for.

www.vintagenewscast.com

This blog dedicated to vintage / Public Domain entertainment and recorded history. It also focuses on the developments for Creative Commons and Open Source Media. The blog centers around fans of nostalgia and culture. Visitors can get quick insights to various people, films and events of the past. I have many valuable resource links on other Public Domain and Creative Commons sites; in addition to links on the Open Source/free media movement.

In addition, I deliver a free video and audio podcasts via itunes. The podcast is also dedicated to all Public Domain / Vintage Television AND recorded history. Every Sunday is a new download. It will randomly consists of a full-length movie from any genre (horror, sci-fi, etc.), historic speeches, music, rare clips, vintage commercials, classic service announcements, documentaries, and rare audio recordings.

It is my goal to build an archival collection of the most DIVERSE Public Domain movies, Creative Commons, Open Source film, and historical works in one podcast feed for itunes~ipod media. This has become a huge hobby of mine and it gives me great pleasure, to research and share these extremely rare and historic memories with other fans of vintage history!

Members that do not own a video ipod MUST use QuickTime movie player, or any apple compatible player to watch movies. Also, any good audio player will play mp3 files.

• 1 month later...

Art

The Canadian Pirate Tracker, or CaPT(Captain) is a creative commons torrent tracker, formed by the Pirate Party of Canada (PPoC) in order to promote artists over an efficient and inexpensive global distribution network. All material entered into CaPT is under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License, which can be found here. CaPT is not for profit, and no revenue is generated by the use or existence of the project. Its sole purpose is to allow artists to reach the global stage.

Archived