Internet Connection Times Out Whenever uTorrent is Running

cyber

Hi:

I have a brand new two-week-old Vista 64-bit os. I'm running Kaspersky 2009 Antivirus on my computer. I've had no problems with my internet timing out or an inability to browse websites until I installed uTorrent.

Once uTorrent was installed, despite being allowed through my firewall, my internet connection started timing out and/or giving me an unable to display web page error. It seems as if as long as I'm continuously refreshing the web page I'm on, the connection doesn't time out, nor do I get the unable to display web page.

I've had my internet service provider tech support out five times and they say the main line, all the lines connecting to my house and the modem, as well as the modem are in perfect working order.

I have run a virus scan and have no virus', trojans, malware or etc.

Furthermore, I have done a complete factory restore as per Gateway Computers but continue to have the same issue as soon as I install uTorrent and begin to run it.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cyber

Thank you DreadWingKnight. I did a search and checked the FAQ but somehow missed the Interrupted Internet Connection Topic. I'm starting to try them out. I think it maybe as simple as too many in and outgoing connections. We'll see what happens now. :-)

If you're on ComCast, there may be other issues with their throttling methods.

2nd link in my signature is only good *IF* you know your sustainable upload speed max.

Most speed tests will show burst speeds...sustainable max is often a fraction of that.

Hi:

Sorry to take so long getting back to you all. I've had Comcast out repeatedly over the past week. They've finally determined that it isn't a problem on their end since they've replaced everything and checked the main line out at the pole.

Thus, I'm still having timing out problems or it simply ceases to stay connected.

Jewlisheaven...I'm not sure what KIS is. If you're referring to Kaspersky, I have Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009, not their Security program so I wouldn't know how to go about checking those things in the virus program.

Switech...are the handling of UDP Packets, the info that gets to sent to my modem. If that's the case, I lose packets. When Comcast was out here a couple days ago, the supervisor monitored my connection. I was at 90%, then 70%, and finally a complete loss. When they attempted to send out 5 different packets to my modem, I received none of them, but this is the norm because the internet connection was completely down.

Does disabling DHT, Resolve IPs, uTP connections, and IPv6 connections have any effect at all? No, I've tried all the suggestions with regards to the aforementioned without success.

The only thing I haven't tried is this:

# Try patching TCPIP.sys (Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, or newer)? Windows Vista users can try this out, but no guarantees are made. Users not on Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, Windows Vista, or newer can skip this step. It is important to note that this step should be a last-resort step.

Kind of leary of that one. LOL

Thanks,

Cyber

If it's losing packets, I don't see how they can claim it's not them >< As far as that last change, yeah, in the guides that's only a last resort to increase things when it's working well already. In your case, I think that would be the kiss of death <3

Indeed yes I was referring to the suite they sell everything all in one, which has a firewall module in it. With just the AV, I don't think it monitors browsers.

SO, let's start again... You're on Vista 64-bit, with Kaspersky AV. What version of uT are you on? We could try to get you to turn off all UDP and see what happens.

Hi jewelisheaven:

I've been out of town. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Here's where I'm at...

Comcast has done everything they can from the main line into the house. All is brand new. My internet connection works superbly without problems until I start uTorrent. Then it dies. This has been tested several times now so it's definitely something to do with uTorrent and/or my computer.

I've exchanged my computer as per suggestions from Best Buy.

I now have an HP AMD Phenom x4 64-bit system. I'm running Kaspersky 2009 AV. There's no router or additional firewall other than the Windows Firewall that came with the computer.

I have the 1.8.2 version of uTorrent.

I've tried all the suggested fixes including Switeck's suggested settings. Even tried to go lower than the suggested settings without any success.

One thing I've noticed since yesterday is that despite uTorrent being set up on my Windows Firewall, periodically the little yellow triangle will appear signaling that there are no incoming connection and when I run the test to see if the ports are forwarded properly, I get an error. So I go back to the Windows Firewall, uncheck the TCP-in and UCD-in, click apply, and then recheck them, clicking apply. Once that's done, I perform the port forwarding test and it works again.

That's the only new info I have for you all, which I've noticed.

Please let me know what else you might need.

Thanks for all your help,

cyber

*edited to supply an answer*

Archived