New Site Design!

wolf202

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa at $29, you might as well shell out an extra $10 and grab UltraEdit -- widely recognized, and probably one of the best text editors out there. If not, then maybe PSPad. It's extremely feature-filled, yet free. Too bad it feels a little unnatural when I use it... the preferences need a facelift, and the application just doesn't feel like other Windows applications (probably because he used Delphi and whatever GUI toolkit for Delphi to write the program).

@Firon: Hm... looking around a bit, and found that UltraEdit can display Unicode... or at least this site seems to say so O.o Also, I just tried Unicode on Notepad2, and it appears to work properly... or at least trying to type Chinese and saving with Unicode as the encoding allows me to open again and see the correct characters. Also, this site has sample Unicode HTML files that I am able to edit in Notepad2 with no problems (I see all the characters properly).

UltraEdit-32 is nice but much like Firefox, it's got some weird issues and can't open any files with unicode names (or any files in folders with unicode names). And often it just displays ??????? for some Unicode text. Notepad2 behaved similarly. Even when you "type" in some asian language into it and save it, re-open it and it's all ?????????

• 2 weeks later...

Today I wanted to see what the site looks like without AdBlock running (don't know why). So I pushed Ctrl-Shift-B and refreshed the page, and I must say that as much as I like the design of the main page, when it is viewed with all the ads, it looks pretty bad.

It seems that the ads are poorly placed at disturbing locations. The ads should be framed or something like that, and concentrated in less disturbing places.

As they are now (at the top of the page) they really ruin the layout, and I doubt if a new user to be will continue to use the site if he encounters all this ad space right at the top of the page.

Edit: the effect is the worst on the main home page, and on the RSS Tutorial page.

maybe placing the ads at the sides, so the ads are still visible and still at the top, but do not get in the way of the design. I know that people here at the forums worked hard on the current design, and it came out great. I just think that's the design is something worth preserving.

Didn't quite notice this thread until now.. sorry everyone. And thanks for the compliments. :)

I like the overall layout, but the choice of colors and fonts are poor.

Unfortunately web coders aren't presented with a wide array of fonts for us to choose from: So basically we are left with Arial, Verdana (in the sans-serif family), and Georgia (in the serif family), that works cross platform. And I was asked to work with Green, but not to match with yellow. Made it kinda though :\

Is this pure css done in notepad (just wondering).

Yes, purely hand-coded using Textpad.

Today I wanted to see what the site looks like without AdBlock running (don't know why). So I pushed Ctrl-Shift-B and refreshed the page, and I must say that as much as I like the design of the main page, when it is viewed with all the ads, it looks pretty bad.

It seems that the ads are poorly placed at disturbing locations. The ads should be framed or something like that, and concentrated in less disturbing places.

As they are now (at the top of the page) they really ruin the layout, and I doubt if a new user to be will continue to use the site if he encounters all this ad space right at the top of the page.

Edit: the effect is the worst on the main home page, and on the RSS Tutorial page.

They are placed that way, on purpose. Not that I approve, but ludde needs clicks, and doesn't want to cheat.

After people recommended UE-32, I gave it a try and it's pretty nice. I'll be using it from now on for coding.

I was using metapad before, becuase it's a single .exe and it works well as a notepad replacement (ie. non-coding), I've been using it like a desktop widget using the transparency option at work.

Archived