Error "user-mapped section open"

sfmarcopolo

Torrent Error " the requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open." I start the download again and for a while it downloads more for a few minutes and then it stops again, with the same error pop-up. my info (AT&T DSL, 720 kbs,no router, no patches, Anti-vir, Avast AV, Online armor firewall, Utorrent settings?). I could not find a reference to this error message in the help section of Utorrent, that is why I posted here. Also, this is just an occasional occurrence, 1 out of 100 downloads does this, so it's not an urgent issue.

I have both "Threat Fire" and "Spybot Search and Destroy running. If these programs are the reason I get this error message, why does only 1 out of 100 downloads have this problem?

I don't even consider this a problem because if I just resume the download every time the error comes up I get a good 10 minutes more of downloading and the file eventually completes. It is just annoying. The protection the antispy programs provide far outweighs a file or two out of hundreds not downloading well. So I can live with this problem. I just want someone to tell me what "user-mapped section open" means. Thats all I want, what does it mean?

Well, your first post says that you are using both Avast and AntiVir, which sounds like 2 antivirus softwares to me. If you're not using both, then which are you using?

There is no explanation for the error. All we know is that it happens when you use various incompatible softwares.

The thread/post I linked to above explains the same thing.

Edit: AVG -> Avast... typo D:

Edit: Because we do not have any solid explanation as to why it's even happening, we certainly don't have any explanation as to why it happens as frequently/infrequently as it does. ThreatFire is indeed the most common cause for the error. You might want to take it up with the ThreatFire developers and ask them why it is that their software is among the most problematic when many other security softwares don't cause the same issue to crop up.

sorry, I did not answer your question correctly...I only have anti-vir running and Threat fire, spybot and Online Armor firewall. No AVG no Avast. Only one AV running.

Can you tell me how to delete my post?

This is not really a problem, I just wanted to know just what does "user-mapped section open" mean? Not how to fix it.

The words "user-mapped section open" is a statement written by the software designer of Utorrent, because it is a Utorrent error message, correct? So why did the software designer write these words if they don't mean anything. They have to mean something don't they? So again I will ask the question; What is a "user mapped section" If no one knows the answer to this in these forums, how do I ask the software designer what he meant by those words?

Wrong. It is an error passed to µTorrent by Windows, and isn't something "written" by the µTorrent developers. You assume too much. Are you suggesting that what I've written here in these forums was actually written by Microsoft, Mozilla, Opera, Google, or Apple? Because you're certainly using one of their browsers, and this post is shown in that browser.

(Edit: Rhetorical; obviously, you aren't actually suggesting that. This was simply to draw an analogy to drill home the point that just because something occurs or appears somewhere doesn't necessarily mean it originates from there.)

I will again repeat myself: we do not have an explanation; we only have potential workarounds. If you really want to find out why it happens, ask the ThreatFire developers, as their software is the principle cause.

OK, thanks. I'll ask the Threat Fire people to explain why the error is showing up. As for who wrote the error message, it appears that Microsoft wrote the error message. The message is being generated from within Windows and this error message is not unique to Utorrent with Threat Fire running. This message can pop up for all kinds of reasons. I googled it and non peer to peer programs can have this error message show up. So I'll ask Microsoft what it means.

• 2 months later...

Threatfire and AVG Free 8.5 were editor's choice for PC mag picked to run together by pcmag this year. They check for bugs in two different ways and don't conflict. After AVG Free started bugging to buy Avast was recommended by PCMag so I installed it. The problem is not with the virus checkers but Utorrent was bought by Bittorrent and if you don't put Ask.com on your browser as in the Utorrent 1.8 version and which is not included in the utorrent 1.9 version it tries as did the 1.8 version to re-install. I don't want Ask.com and if you don't want it your going to get the re-install all over again. Until the owners Bittorent resolve this I am done unless

I just recovered from another system crash before this sentence. This is after I solved the problem, tested it for 6 hours and re-installed utorrent 1.9 and had tried to un-install. I have to re-check my system and your post say that ThreatFire is the problem?

I'm not sure I quite got what you meant in your run-on sentence about the Ask.com toolbar. It seemed like you were trying to make a point, but it got lost somewhere along the way in the stream of consciousness. The Ask.com has nothing to do with anything. The fact that µTorrent was bought by BitTorrent has nothing to do with anything.

Ultima Moderator:

"The Ask.com has nothing to do with anything. The fact that µTorrent was bought by BitTorrent has nothing to do with anything"

Sorry but I think you should re-evaluate the above statement. According to the search page listed below Ask.com is practically being tarred and feathered as a snake oil salesman. So I took the liberty of putting the entire directory of Ask.com's files under my Comodo Firewall's as blocked files. Ask.com's toolbar crashes xp operating systems. I won't touch Utorrent until I know it is gone. I'm going to wait for someone else to be a guinne pig, look for problems on a search string and then maybe get Utorrents 2.0 version.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ask.com+utorrent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Okay, so tell me how (or prove to me that) Ask.com is causing the user-mapped section error. And then prove to me that disabling ThreatFire doesn't make the problem go away.

If you can't, then your point is completely moot. Because to me, you're discussing two entirely separate problems in the same thread, and trying to meld them together to say that they are both interconnected/interrelated. Which they're obviously not. Meaning what? That you're hijacking a thread, and are just on a personal vendetta to try and blame everything on the decision to add the Ask.com toolbar into the install routine.

Oh, and you still haven't explained to me how BitTorrent Inc. in and of itself was the cause of the user-mapped section error.

• 2 months later...

Archived