µTorrent Adder

Ultima

1. That has nothing to do with µTorrent Adder. Windows creates the "magnet" key on its own. Try deleting the one created by µTorrent Adder and refresh, and see what happens.

2. What does "did not work" mean? To be clear, I have (since releasing v0.2.1.0 yesterday) found a bug in the way µTorrent Adder is creating the Registry entries, but nothing that would cause browsers to not attempt to open µTorrent Adder.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be more specific (by does not work), I receive the following error when I click a magnet link on:

Firefox (pop-up box): [Alert] Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (magnet) isn't associated with any program.

IE (in webpage): [The webpage cannot be displayed] ... Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed. ...

using Unicode [v0.2.1.0], same issue with ANSI

I have also done the following in hkey_classes_root, but I still receive the same error:

Renamed Magnet, to Magnett, refesh, delete Magnet (which contains nothing), rename Magnett (back to) Magnet, refresh

Clicked a magnet link, same error

Deleted Magnet (the one now containing something), refresh

Clicked a magnet link, same error

Send me a PM (or e-mail) if you want access to my VMs - I'm running 1 for uTorrent the other for the uTorrent Adder

(When I said to delete the key, I was trying to exemplify the fact that Windows re-adds the key on its own -- I didn't mean to say that it would be a potential fix)

I don't know what's wrong, because deleting HKCR\magnet definitely clears any association for me (such that browsers stop understanding magnet URIs), and re-registering it with µTorrent Adder alone causes the browsers to suddenly understand the links again. Maybe it's a x64 thing, but I don't currently have a 64-bit version of Windows installed, so I can't really test properly. What you can do though, is to use Process Monitor to watch what keys µTorrent registers when you press "Associate with magnet URIs" in Preferences > General, and give me a log of it. And perhaps an exported .reg file from a RegScanner search for "magnet" might also be useful.

I get the same issue when I'm using WinXP Pro 32bit SP3. Both x64 and x86 are FRESH installs (as presiously mentioned) of windows, before uTorrent installation of course, with most of the updates applied.

I can't figure out why it works uTorrent Adder works without issues once uTorrent has been installed. I even tested this leaving the associate magnet uri's unchecked in the uTorrent setup.

I've started to work with the 32bit since you have that - I'm sure once that's working the 64bit will no longer be an issue. PM me a place to send the procmon and RegScanner output.

Nevermind, sorry for wasting your time -- I see where the problem was. I was supposed to create a "URL Protocol" value in HKCR\magnet. I assumed it wouldn't matter, since it was just a blank value anyway, and that's why I decided not to create that key in the first place... but I guess I was wrong. Will upload a new build in a bit.

Edit: Uploaded -- find it in the first post.

v0.2.1.1 (2009-11-29)

~ Change: Disable "Add to uTorrent" button if host details are incomplete

~ Change: Slightly more informative commandline option error handling

* Fix: Improper Registry entries associating .torrent files and magnet URIs

* Fix: Magnet URI association fails without association to another application

Works great (tested on x64). Now the only thing needed is some sort of confirmation (anything but a pop-up box that requires you to click 'OK'!) that a magnet link was actually sent to the remote computer ;-)

Understood this wouldn't be a confirmation that it was loaded successfully, it would be nice to have a notification that something actually happened.

Thanks for the app!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies if this appears completely idiotic but I cannot get the app to work at all. I have tried manually adding torrents by dragging and dropping a .torrent file from a directory and then clicking the add button and I have also tried associating .torrent files with the app in firefox and in both situations nothing appears to happen when I click 'add to utorrent', followed by nothing appearing in the remote instance of utorrent.

I feel like i'm clearly doing something wrong but I can't find anything. I have checked and re-entered the server details so I feel like i'm still missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No error message at all, I was still using the utorrent handler before and that broke when I upgraded to utorrent 2.0 and the new webui

Now utorrent handler gives me a 'HTTP/1.1 300 error'

The utorrent adder still gives no feedback at all, it just does nothing when the torrent file is opened and when I manually open the app, add the file and click the 'add torrent' button it does nothing too.

@penetr8or: Nothing native that I know of, nope. You could always try running µTA+Wine, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth (and I don't even know if it'll work).

@SirConfused: There really isn't enough information here for me to diagnose the problem, and that's my fault for being uninformative when it comes to errors in µTorrent Adder. But, you could always use WebUI itself for the time being until I find a chunk of contiguous time to actually work on µTorrent Adder again.

Which reminds me, though... can you even access WebUI on the IP:port you give µTorrent Adder anyway? Are you sure you have the right port, and aren't using an alternative listening port in µTorrent Adder when you should be (or vice versa)?

The webui isn't working either, every time I try and upload a torrent by browsing for it, it gives me an 'invalid torrent' error.

At the moment the only way I can add torrents is to upload a torrent to the server and VNC to it and manually drag and drop the torrent file into utorrent.

The ports are definitely right, I have checked them multiple times and re-downloaded the adder a few times now to no avail. I do use an alternative listening port but the webui works fine, it just doesn't accept new torrents for some reason.

• 1 month later...

uTorrent Adder was working ok for a couple of days, until it stopped working for no apparent reason (adding via WebUI still works). Since there were no error messages, I was unaware of it and missed some data.

Switched back to 1.8.5 / uTorrent Handler

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS!

Really like this little tool. I've been using uRemote as solution to add torrents to my HTPC via my laptop. Since it was the ONLY app I knew that could associate with .torrents. But for anything else uRemote is just too old and won't get updated.

I didn't like the Firefox addon solution since it requires right-click.

And both solutions do not support Magnet links, wich I find is very weird since Magnet links seem to be the future (why host torrent files when you can "host" links :) can save legal costs ;) )

And now after doing more searching (for the 7th time or so) I've finally found your creation. Note that there already is a "torrent adder" tool. But only in Russian and I doubt it's as easy, simplistic and intuitive as yours.

I do recommend people to save the .exe file in Program Files or just not the desktop since .torrent and .magnet files will be opened via the .exe file... so if you clean up your desktop or default download folder you might delete this app.

I just saved it in my laptop program files\utorrent folder (wich also contains utorrent but I rarely use utorrent on my laptop, always use utorrent on my htpc via webgui).

Im using the latest uTorrent and webUI (also using chrome)

uTorrent Adder will add a torrent through URL only for me.

It wont add through .torrent file and most importantly for me it isnt auto adding when I click a torrent or magnet

Is there an incompatability issue or is it me?

Ugh. These issues are difficult to troubleshoot because I was too lazy to make error handling a bit cleaner before (a.k.a. report the errors more clearly), and I've been too busy to find spare time to work on µTorrent Adder.

How does it fail?

• 1 month later...

ok i'm having issues with the program. Seems it's not saving the profile. it works as long as each time I enter the info. ie host/port/un/pw

nothing I do can make it save the profile to use the second time it tries to open.

Anyone have any idea's?

edit: seems under win7x64 i ran it once as an admin and it created the .ini file correctly and is now working with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it writes the .ini file to its current directory, so you need to make sure you are able to create files wherever it is run. I'm not sure if I should take a more µTorrent-like approach and default to creating in "%appdata%\uTorrent Adder" instead (and using CWD only if it finds a .ini file there first).

Archived