µTorrent Adder

Ultima

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, and I apologize for that. Life's caught up with me, and I haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on my pet projects, which includes µTorrent Adder.

I took a look at the code I had, and noticed that a large part of the error logging functionality was already put in place a while back. Following a tiny bit of tweaking, I've got something that should at least handle more errors in a more visible fashion.

In light of the fact that I haven't looked at this code in ages, I'm really hoping that I didn't introduce any more bugs here. I performed some rudimentary tests to make sure at least some basic use cases and edge cases work fine, but I'm not sure if I covered everything.

Changelog:

v0.3.0.0 (2011-04-30)

^ New: x64 build support

+ Feature: Logger tab

+ Feature: Popup confirmation when torrent is sent via commandline

~ Change: Hide taskbar entry for profile naming dialog

~ Change: Improved error logging/reporting

~ Change: Properly detect and use system font on Windows Vista and newer

First post, as usual.

Users who would rather not see the notification when they add can use the -silent option as an additional commandline parameter in the Options tab and reassociate.

I didn't bother making a ANSI build, as I can't really test it to verify that it runs properly on older OSes.

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, i figured i would fix loading magnet links over remote since all sites will stop using torrents soon.

I have a VERY strange issue with uTorrent Adder that i can simply not figure out on my own.

I firstly setup my utorrent adder and it works flawlessly connecting to my internal server running utorrent on static ip 192.168.0.3

Everything is gravy until i restart my computer, then uTorrent Adder won't say anything is wrong when i add stuff, but nothing gets loaded in utorrent on my server.

Usually uTorrent Adder should give you an error message something like "could not connect" if it can't connect, but it's mute, it says nothing, it looks like it's working but clearly isn't.

Now to the really weird part, randomly if i wait x amount of time, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 40 minutes, it starts working again and will promt instantly if a connect error is had.

Things i've tried:

Turning off firewall

Turning off anti virus

Patching windows xp tcpip.sys to not give "more then 10 tcpip connections blabla in event viewer"

Is there any more logging to be had, cause event viewer says nothing, and neither does utorrent adder.

The only thing i can see is when i click "add to utorrent" button is that it gets high lighted and stuck, for like 1 minute until it gets unstuck, so clearly its attempting to connect but gets blocked somewhere, but does not return any error.

Running Windows XP SP3.

Tried with both utorrent latest version and the prior versions.

Not sure what to say. I pretty much break the add attempt on all errors reported back to µTorrent Adder from Windows. If it doesn't detect an error, then almost definitely, Windows simply isn't reporting an error, so there isn't much I can do on that front.

During the time that µTorrent Adder isn't working, is WebUI itself working?

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this great plugin I have on suggestion for future feature

Sleep support

Currently if I click on a magnet link to add to a torrent and the host computer is asleep nothing happens. The torrent doesn't get added, I get no notification of an error, and the host remains asleep.

Can I suggest the following

If enabled in the options

utorrent adder checks to see if host is awake

if host is not awake utorrent adder sends a wake on lan magic packet

waits 5 seconds

rechecks to see if host is awake

if awake the torrent is added

if the host is still asleep wait 5 more seconds and then retry

If host still asleep utorrent adder displays an error that it was unable to add the torrent

• 4 months later...

I have just come across this and it works perfectly for me (Client PC Windows Server 2012) for magnet links but doesn't seem to work for .torrent files. The message box pops up saying it worked but the torrent isn't added to the download. I have tested the WebUI and it lets me manually add the .torrent files. Any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

Zas

EDIT: Oh it's only when I click on the .torrent file in a web link. It seems to find the torrent file, download it and THINKS it sends it but no luck. If I then click on the .torrent file locally (where ever it put it or just one I have on my pc) that seems to work. Don't know if this helps work out the issue?

EDIT2: I have kind of got around the issue by changing Firefox's default behavior for .torrents files to "save" then once it has downloaded the file just clicking on it in the download list at which point uTorrent Adder works and I have to manually delete the .torrent file. Although I would love to have it work correctly if possible? ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I made an account on the forums just now just to say thank you. I was about || that close to writing my own C# application to do the same thing. I don't know why applications like this aren't more popular or there isn't a native client application developed by uTorrent themselves. Adding torrents in the WebUI can be painfully slow and I'm very appreciative of your work on this application.

I'd offer you any help I could give, but it looks like you've got everything down pretty well. If you ever decide to stop maintaining this application, shoot me a message first!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I see this thread has been dead for a few months now, but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I'm working on creating a seamless media player box. The way that XBMC works, my TV Shows and Movies need to be in separate folders which I can do by appending labels to my torrents. I want to use uTorrent Adder to send my magnet links to my torrent box, but I have no way of apending a label to them.

I would have already went in and added the functionality myself but unfortunately, Ultima never released the source

• 1 month later...

Hi there just created an account to say i REALLY love this tool, and have used it for some time now, its working most of the times, but i have this really annoying problem.

Once in a while when you open .torrent files with this adder tool as default it does not always send the signal to the remote server or gets lost while sending and therefore the file is not added :( so i have to double check each time i add one file either via the webui or remote login, i have tested different windows installations like xp,7,8,8.1 now and no luck, and i know its not my network setup since it all just got changed to brand new fast routers with dd-wrt installed on it now including cat6 cables as default everywhere.

Would it be to much of hassle to ask you if you would code an little box where you can force it to send the same file like 2-3 times over 1-5 seconds? or at least make it check if ip/server is avail and file was not received resend it until it added to the torrent webui?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Good point. Updated version in first post.

v0.3.0.1 (2013-11-24)

~ Change: Improved send failure handling

Now doing some more error handling (check for abnormal return values from µTorrent when sending add-url and add-file requests). I was previously only checking for connect errors. It'll now complain if the subsequent requests (following connection) fail. I'd rather not implement retry logic, and would instead prefer for errors to be handled more explicitly by the user since the errors that get returned typically don't reveal enough information to indicate whether an automatic retry is the correct course of action.

Note that if no errors pop up, then that means µTorrent responded to µTorrent Adder with success. If it still fails to be added, then at that point, it's likely not a problem on µTorrent Adder's end (given that µTorrent and/or the TCP/HTTP stack that sits between both pieces of software didn't complain). There's no easy way to compensate for failures that happen on µTorrent's end for files/URLs that are successfully received by µTorrent, since the WebUI API does not readily expose information about whether or not a torrent job was actually added.

While I was at it, I updated my build tools -- meaning newer AutoIt and UPX. Since antivirus software seem to hate these two, I'll leave some details about each file here for posterity/sanity:

File: utorrent-adder.0301u.zip (VirusTotal Analysis)

Size: 282573 bytes

MD5: D763C8E220DB975A4F7EF8EBAA540801

SHA1: F8A84933E40606F6D76E1F9045EB9143BEFF97F7

CRC32: A15CE223

File: utorrent-adder.0301x.zip (VirusTotal Analysis)

Size: 339168 bytes

MD5: E2C0DE2FFF441A2B3FE062EEFB655D0F

SHA1: 2D73392E3BD560303281699A8FBA383391EDD7BD

CRC32: 24162B62

• 2 months later...
v0.3.0.1 (2013-11-24)

Now doing some more error handling (check for abnormal return values from µTorrent when sending add-url and add-file requests). I was previously only checking for connect errors. It'll now complain if the subsequent requests (following connection) fail. I'd rather not implement retry logic, and would instead prefer for errors to be handled more explicitly by the user since the errors that get returned typically don't reveal enough information to indicate whether an automatic retry is the correct course of action.

Note that if no errors pop up, then that means µTorrent responded to µTorrent Adder with success. If it still fails to be added, then at that point, it's likely not a problem on µTorrent Adder's end (given that µTorrent and/or the TCP/HTTP stack that sits between both pieces of software didn't complain). There's no easy way to compensate for failures that happen on µTorrent's end for files/URLs that are successfully received by µTorrent, since the WebUI API does not readily expose information about whether or not a torrent job was actually added.

While I was at it, I updated my build tools -- meaning newer AutoIt and UPX. Since antivirus software seem to hate these two, I'll leave some details about each file here for posterity/sanity:

Thanks i just logged in to reply and give you my best wishes to you ;).

So i will test this version and check the things, if you do not hear from me then its all OK.

BTW. Are you the guy who developed the webui remote?, if so is it possible to make the webui read the appdata/ personal settings? from my utorrent top bar with my personal setup like shown on this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/qw4DwWT.png

I notice that when you login from different machines or you did not login for a very long time it was cleared so each time i have to setup my personal top bar again :).

Oh yeah one last thing, it does not seem that Associate With .torrent files and magnet urls button works from a fresh windows 7 and 8.1 installation.

v0.3.0.1 (2013-11-24)

Now doing some more error handling (check for abnormal return values from µTorrent when sending add-url and add-file requests). I was previously only checking for connect errors. It'll now complain if the subsequent requests (following connection) fail. I'd rather not implement retry logic' date=' and would instead prefer for errors to be handled more explicitly by the user since the errors that get returned typically don't reveal enough information to indicate whether an automatic retry is the correct course of action.

Thanks i just logged in to reply and give you my best wishes to you ;).

So i will test this version and check the things, if you do not hear from me then its all OK.

BTW. Are you the guy who developed the webui remote?, if so is it possible to make the webui read the appdata/ personal settings? from my utorrent top bar with my personal setup like shown on this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/qw4DwWT.png

I notice that when you login from different machines or you did not login for a very long time it was cleared so each time i have to setup my personal top bar again :).

Oh yeah one last thing, it does not seem that Associate With .torrent files and magnet urls button works from a fresh windows 7 and 8.1 installation.

Okay so i heavy tested it, and it still fails, i tried it another place where my friend also is using an server to handle all those things and same thing happen with the latest version. It does not give any errors and it states that the file was sent but it wasn't. Both places are setup with quality routers that run their own linux software, and the entire network is 100% 1gbit, we are "boys" that have our equipment in perfect condition, when it comes to hardware we do not slack on the quality.

He is Running RT66U and i got two WNDR4500 with dd-wrt software installed and some couple of 1gbit racks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't know what to tell you... I haven't had any issues in my rudimentary tests. Can you try sniffing the packets to see if the requests/responses look sane?

It does nothing.

Try use the latest public version, add all the settings needed, randomly it wont send... Even if the webui has been shutted down and the utorrent is not running on the other remote, it still says that the torrent was send with your app? http://prntscr.com/3oc6tl

Other bugs

Asscosiate with.x does not work i checked files after pressing them multiple times nothing happens, i also tested with regshot to compare registry nothing was applied.

http://prntscr.com/3oc74p

Add to utorrent is faded out.

http://prntscr.com/3oc7if

This is all ran with admin rights on windows 7 and windows 8.1 both gives same results so must be bugs/errors in app that needs recode.

Don't know what to tell you... I haven't had any issues in my rudimentary tests. Can you try sniffing the packets to see if the requests/responses look sane?

It does nothing.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but it doesn't sound like the result of a packet sniffing.

Even if the webui has been shutted down and the utorrent is not running on the other remote, it still says that the torrent was send with your app?

I beg to differ.

This is all ran with admin rights on windows 7 and windows 8.1 both gives same results so must be bugs/errors in app that needs recode.

Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, until I am able to replicate the problem, I see nothing I can fix -- literally. Given that no one else has complained to me about the same problem, and I have yet to observe the problem myself, I'm inclined to not immediately assume it's the application that is buggy.

Here's the unfortunate-but-probable explanation: You're Probably Doing It Wrong™.

To give you a more direct answer:

[h]Commandline Options[/h]

• -profile="PROFILE NAME" : Add .torrent files to the specified profile name (must be quote-wrapped)

The notification popup in the first screenshot is telling you exactly what it means it did: it used the last profile you used when you opened µTorrent Adder. If that last profile happens to not be pointed at the WebUI instance you wanted... well, then it's going to the wrong place. If you want to target a specific profile, then you better add that commandline option with the proper profile specified. It's clear you haven't specified it since besides the fact that the first screenshot shows that you sent to the "uTorrent Adder - Last Profile" profile, the second screenshot shows that your "Additional Parameters" option does not contain the -profile="PROFILE NAME" option.

I certainly have a usability problem in the UI that makes it non-obvious that the profile should typically be specified, and I can certainly consider smoothing part over, but as it stands, I see no direct evidence of this being a result of "bugs/errors in app that needs recode".

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but it doesn't sound like the result of a packet sniffing.

I beg to differ.

Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, until I am able to replicate the problem, I see nothing I can fix -- literally. Given that no one else has complained to me about the same problem, and I have yet to observe the problem myself, I'm inclined to not immediately assume it's the application that is buggy.

Here's the unfortunate-but-probable explanation: You're Probably Doing It Wrong™.

To give you a more direct answer:

The notification popup in the first screenshot is telling you exactly what it means it did: it used the last profile you used when you opened µTorrent Adder. If that last profile happens to not be pointed at the WebUI instance you wanted... well, then it's going to the wrong place. If you want to target a specific profile, then you better add that commandline option with the proper profile specified. It's clear you haven't specified it since besides the fact that the first screenshot shows that you sent to the "uTorrent Adder - Last Profile" profile, the second screenshot shows that your "Additional Parameters" option does not contain the -profile="PROFILE NAME" option.

I certainly have a usability problem in the UI that makes it non-obvious that the profile should typically be specified, and I can certainly consider smoothing part over, but as it stands, I see no direct evidence of this being a result of "bugs/errors in app that needs recode".

You were right, i just needed to give it some time before the error appeared about not being connectable to webui, not sure if the test i did was hanging with the shutdown of the webui but i gave it like a couple of minutes when testing. Today i tested once again and for the first time i saw this error after 15-30 seconds, so it does indeed show up ;).

About the "last profile"

Ever since i started using utorrent adder i never saw a reason for creating a dedicated profile for sending to webui since i would only use this static adress that is in "last profile" to my personal webui no matter what, so unless last profile would cause some problems then i see no reason for creating another profile ;).

The packet sniffing respond was kinda an mistake answer by me, i had done some sniffing research and saved some logs/pictures but i think i lost it with newly format i did with my new OS, i dont know why i wrote that.

command line

I added the line -profile="uTorrent Adder - Last Profile" and it seems to have fixed my issue about Associations even tho i had added them manually before? Thanks!

I got 2 more things.

First.

Does uTorrent Adder rely on having actually uTorrent installed on same machine using uTorrent Adder from?

Second.

I was able to crash utorrent adder while sending torrents to webui, i accidently shutted down the error but it was something about autoit error array variable / autoit error subscript used with non-array variable on line 916 if i remember correctly.

You might know what the fuss is about, what i can tell you is that my webui was not responding or was really slow i was downloading with 25mb/s and doing some rechecks of files when i tried adding.

I tried to replicate it, doing every possible thing i could to slow it down, and make it not respond..  But without luck :(.

• 4 weeks later...

No you don't need to have µTorrent installed to use µTorrent Adder.

I believe you when you say that you observed a crash, but I need to be able to replicate the crash to debug/fix it. Line number is insufficient -- it's useless to me given the way the script gets compiled.

• 1 month later...

Archived