strange problem with speed, decreases suddenly

koldfuzzion

hey everyone can you help me out with my speed issues?

since we have download limits in portugal, i use the scheduler to download during "free for all" hours when you can download all you want without it counting towards your limit.. during the rest of the day i have the scheduler limit the download at 1k/s. I noticed that when the scheduler unlimits the connection the download speed shoots up suddenly to about 400K/s and then decreases in 2 or 3 seconds to 20K/s and remains constant throughout. It seems like my normal speed would be 400K/s (i have a 4mbit connection so it makes sense) but something is limiting it... any ideas? I use zonealarm firewall but everything is set up fine, i also use cfosspeed but all it does is help, and i also run emule simultaneously but it never reaches speeds beyond 10K/s... any ideas? thanks in advance... hope you guys can sort this out 4 me ;)

i tried downloading the file and got an average of about 130K/s... not bad... so I guess it's not throttling... i bet they do throttle, but not much during the day (regular hours).. my global max upload is set to 18K/s... my connection is 32K/s (256kbit).. I also have emule running with a upload max of 10K, so that leaves about 4K... since I have cfosspeed traffic shaping I guess 4K leftover upstream should be enough... what do you guys think?

I don't know... 130KB/s sounds too low, considering your maximum should be about 500KB/s (yes, that's what 4mbit lines go at, approximately =P). The OpenOffice.org torrent should easily max out almost anyone's lines (anyone who is perfectly connectable and not throttled, that is)... Your upload seems fine, I guess, since you're using eMule as well.

Archived