Documentation

Non Default User

The µTorrent FAQ is more documentation than comes with most other clients' combined (I'm not sure how large it is, but I'd assume Azureus' wiki is huge). The only complaint I'd see other people having is that there is no Quick Start guide for µTorrent, but who needs that? The Speed Guide does most of the work already =P

I suggested that I would be happy to work on some documentation a while ago, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea for just that reason; µTorrent is updated too frequently.

edit: well, I've written a beginner's guide which may be going up on the site shortly if ignorantcow approves of it, Firon has his RSS tutorial and there's also a skins tutorial under construction, as well as the FAQ, so I guess the documentation is fairly comprehensive already. What more was it that you wanted?

I was unable to find descriptions for many parts of the program. For example, what do the MaxUp and MaxDown columns in the Peers tab represent? The MaxUp and MaxDown values are 120 and 600, respectively, for every client in my list at the moment. I assume it has nothing to do with the client settings of my peers (how would uTorrent obtain that information?), but they don't reflect my settings either.

Maybe you should include keyboard/mouse gesture in the FAQ. You know, things such as "Pressing Escape will minimize it" or "Pressing Enter on selected torrents in the torrent list will open the directory" or "Double clicking on selected torrents on the list ...." etc. Some people using uT never knew these functions actually exists at all. :P

• 4 months later...

I've been trying to find some documentation also, but primarily only about the method used to queue pieces. This is a problem area, in my opinion, for some of us and I would like to understand how the process is implemented. From responses to my questions/suggestions I was led to believe it was a process in which the least available pieces would be queued first, but watching a torrent run I noticed that with 1 seed and 8 peers the first piece put in queue had an availability of 7, followed by pieces with availabilies of 7,8,5,5,7,4,8,4,and 3. The queue quickly grew to exceed the number of seeds and peers available and continues to grow, now containing 25 pieces. The same seed and peers remain yet the queue continues to grow, adding pieces with availabilities of between 2 and 6. None of the pieces are completing very quickly, and being 4mB pieces, 100 mB exists in queue at various stages of completion. What are the rules for queuing pieces, and do every client follow the same set of rules. Can anyone here answer these questions, or direct me to a source of documentation which might be able to do so? Thanks for any help.

Archived