Settings for ISPs who throttle traffic

deeppal

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pocky888: Can you explain to what to degree this encryption helped so far? Your speeds seem from those pictures look as if you were still throttled ... the problem with throttling is your 100KB/s upstream is slowed down to like 10KB/s-0KB's, basically only the network overhead. From my prospective this feature is working intermittingly ... it needs to be refined.

I think the encryption might be useleess to others if there is those many options for a user, as the risk of inter-operability bugs start to appear.

Can Disable mode accept --> Legacy Connections, if so the box Labled Allow Legacy needs to be greyed out.

Can enabled (Headers only) mode operate with enabled (All Traffic)? Here I think it gets buggy, seems that when one mode is contacting the other, it fails and tries the un-encrypted route.

On the release, what will be the default setting, no doubt it should be the one with the best encryption/resources trade-off?

maybe it's all the testing and fiddling around that we keep doing with this particular torrent, but the Az connection seems to stay with an E flag, while most of the time none of my connection with the other µtorrents are encrypted.

Edit: my client is set to Enabled (all)

Edit 2: also, my report is not "real time", I'm just checking how much has been uploaded to the Az client so far.

yeah, I can't keep an encrypted connection with you for some reason.

I do keep an encrypted connection with Pocky888 though. I think he is set to Forced.

What is your Encryption setting?

Edit: currently I see you as DHSX. Maybe the snubbing has something to do with it.

my stupid isp(rogers) has started to throttle bt now severely, only ports that were working full speed for bt were 1720 and 1755, but they've done something now and have those throttled too so i'm doomed and i really dont want to switch to any other isp because the rest pale in comparison, only issue rogers has is bt throttling which fucking sucks because bt is very important to me.. in order for this encryption thing to work good when the new utorrent/azureus clients come out shouldn't it have encryption enabled by default? if not everyone has it enabled then it wont work well, will it?

TK1: it doesn't work like that. ;) When you change it to encryption, all the seeds/peers you're connected to will accept your encrypted connection & return encrypted data back to you, even if these seeds/peers have encryption turned off. :)

And encryption is turned off because for the majority of the users it is unnecessary (causes overhead) to do so. ;)

@1c3d0g: All your ISP needs to see is one unencrypted bittorrent handshake and the port can be choked. Forcing outgoing connections to be encrypted is all well and good but if you also have unencrypted incoming connections attempts then encryption isn't going to do you any good. Now, hopefully, most ISP's will only choke outgoing, unencrypted handshakes; if they don't they're setting themselves up for a well deserved DoS attack that wouldn't even require more than one computer to have them choking their entire network.

@TKI: Set it to Enabled, Always and if they start choking you again for the unencrypted incoming connections they'll probably stop within a week or two when some script kiddie smacks them down for being stupid.

Archived