Conservative Settings Chart (Alternate Speed Guide for uTorrent)

Switeck

I'm not sure I understand this thread, as I happened to find it through a whole bunch of links.

Am I to understand that these are better values to use than the one's in uTorrent's Speed Guide? I'm currently set at the 640k upload setting. Should I be lowering the connection values as it looks like the ones listed here are much lower than in uTorrent? Thanks.

These values are simply more conservative...but should work fine for all but the most unusual cases.

An earlier post on the thread was from a dual ISDN user who found that the settings were a little low for very slow torrents, but even still he didn't have to use more than 60 connections total.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My skill level using torrents is pretty low... which is why I initialy liked utorrent.. but as i have issues, i am liking it less and less. I am trying to trouble shoot an issue, where some torrents downlload.. some do not (at all)... and those same torrents that do not download AT ALL on my desktop system, download extremly fast on my laptop, with an older version of utorrent on it. ... but that it not why I am writing...

... in the course of my tropuble shooting, someone pointed me to this thread, with the :excelent chart".. that everyone seems to like. well, on behalf of all the beginers out there....

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!?!?!?!?!??!

the chart does not directly match up with ANY settings in the UTorrent menues... so... unless you are already an expert on torrents... the info is next to usless (for me).

So... aside from proclaiming my ignorance here... my plea is this: IF this chart is so usefull... could someone, in plain terms, say how to APPLY the chart? as in, what are the settings called in utorrent, and WHERE ARE they in the utorrent menus??

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem...

Thanks in advance... sorry for the rant...

Mike

Thanks very much for this chart. I am new to all of this and I am struggling to figure out how to best tune/tweak my Utorrent settings and this is very helpful, although very confusing for a newbie like me.

I want to start first with making sure that I understand correctly exactly what the chart terms correspond to in the Utorrent program.

Is this a correct translation of chart terms below to the recommended uttorent setting options in the program?

[CHART name vs. setting name in Utorrent Program / Preferences]

UPLOAD Limit = Bandwidth / Maximum upload rate

UPLOAD Slots = Bandwidth / Number of upload slots per torrent

CONNECTIONS Torr = Bandwidth / Maximum number of connected peers per torrent

CONNECTIONS MAX = Bandwidth / Global maximum number of connections

MAX ACTIVE Torr = Queueing / Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download)

MAX ACTIVE Down. = Queueing / Maximum number of active downloads

Or to put it in terms of the Utorrent program, since that is how I am trying to figure out what is what by that interface then looking at the chart:

Utorrent / Preferences / Bandwidth page

---------------------------------------

Global Upload Rate Limiting

Maximum upload rate (kB/s) = CHART UPLOAD Limit

Global Download Rate Limiting

Maximum download rate (kB/s) = not specified on chart, but seems like most people leave this as unlimited [0]; I read somewhere on the 'net that it may be better to limit this # to around 90-95% of what your download rate actually is, but as far as I can tell I don't think you'd ever come close to that anyways because of how slow all your uploaders are anyway (yes/no?)

Number of connections

Global maximum number of connections = CHART CONNECTIONS MAX

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent = CHART CONNECTIONS Torr

Number of upload slots per torrent = CHART UPLOAD Slots

Utorrent / Preferences / Queueing page

---------------------------------------

Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download) = CHART MAX ACTIVE Torr

Maximum number of active downloads = CHART MAX ACTIVE Down.

Is that right?

One big thing has me really confused though. The CONNECTION TYPE (UPLOAD MAXIMUM), is that the theoretical upload speed that you are paying for? As opposed to your REAL tested upload speed which I think is called the Upload Limit in the chart (and is the "Maximum upload rate" in the program preferences)? Also aren't you supposed to use a figure that is about 80% of your actual result for this rather than the actual tested number?

For instance I have FIOS that is 20mb/s download and 5 mb/s upload.

In speed testing I am getting on average about 20000kb/s (2500kBs) download and 4500kbs (560kBs) upload. Should I just go with the chart settings for 5mbit/sec? Or scale things back a bit?

Thanks for the patience with a noob...

slipkid asked: "Is that right?"

Yes, everything above that question seems correct.

One big thing has me really confused though. The CONNECTION TYPE (UPLOAD MAXIMUM), is that the theoretical upload speed that you are paying for? As opposed to your REAL tested upload speed which I think is called the Upload Limit in the chart (and is the "Maximum upload rate" in the program preferences)? Also aren't you supposed to use a figure that is about 80% of your actual result for this rather than the actual tested number?

The connection type is also based on measured upload speed limits. If you're getting way less than the ISP-stated amount, it's NOT a good idea to try to use settings based on the higher rate that you do not really have.

The tested upload speed in KiloBYTES/second you get from a speed test...already factors in much of the 80% of actual connection speed. That's the TCP transfer max rather than the raw bits transfer max. However that is best used only for alternate upload rate while not downloading (only seeding)...as it's a little too high to use for regular upload max because it'll probably lag your internet connection a bit if downloading quickly at the same time. So take the measured upload speed and use the next lower value on my chart.

rowben86,

DISABLE: UPnP, NAT-PMP, LPD, DHT (both kinds!), and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window on an active torrent).

Each one costs extra bandwidth (though UPnP only from the computer to router or modem).

That should also eliminate UDP packets from uTorrent. (possible exception: If you have Teredo installed, it uses UDP packets.)

You only need to port forward TCP this way.

Lower net.max_halfopen to only 4. (Constantly making 4 new connections outgoing at once should be enough!)

Choose FORCED encryption outgoing, and disable legacy (unencrypted) connections incoming.

(You can try allowing incoming legacy connections...but that's likely not to help.)

Make sure you put in the correct UPLOAD settings for your connection!

Not uploading at max speed at least some of the time suggests even worse problems than slow download!

On top of all this, intentionally firewalling uTorrent and running with no more than 5-20 connections with half open set at 1-4 may be faster. Or removing tracker info from the public torrents so your ISP doesn't spot your tracker updates -- but this requires either DHT and/or Peer Exchange and doing a tracker update before removing the list. :(

Switeck, do you know if the new settings in RED in your first post will be added in the next stable version or in beta ?

In addition, is it possible to add the unit (xb/s or xB/s) in the Speed Guide window when a Connection Type is selected (print seems to be variable, see screens) ? Maybe it would be more user friendly... not always easy to know between bit/s or byte/s! :)

128kqk1.png

10mbmd2.png

Since there was at least one person who couldn't find the setting in uTorrent, here's a complete newbie guide on where to find them.

In uTorrent, click Options, then Preferences.

uT-Opts-Prefs.JPG

In the list on the left, select Bandwidth.

uT-Bandwidth.JPG

The lines show the Table values with the corresponding uTorrent settings.

uTorrentConfig.JPG

Find your max theoretical upload speed in the table (256k/512k/1024k[1mbit]) are common) and plug the values in uTorrent.

The MAX ACTIVE setting in the table is a guide for you on how many active torrents you can download/seed at any one time with optimum results.

Hope that helps eliminate any confusion for people new to Bitorrent/uTorrent.

Beautiful pictures explaining my chart. :)

The MAX ACTIVE setting in the table is a guide for you on how many active torrents you can download/seed at any one time with optimum results.

Actually, max active and max downloading torrents are the most I'd recommend just about period. Optimum results are often achieved on the faster lines by running fewer torrents at once but with equal or slightly more per-torrent upload slots. (Keep TOTAL upload slots about the same or less as before!)

Note: Seeding torrents can often run with slightly fewer upload slots and far fewer connections than downloading and still achieve the same upload rate. Unfortunately, uTorrent doesn't let you use different settings for downloading and seeding torrents.

Total upload slots makes more sense than upload slots per torrent.

Switeck,

I was trying to convey the meaning of the table information for newbies, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word optimum. Rather, based on the settings for your upload speed, the MAX Tor/DL values represent the max number of connections going at any one time while still keeping your upload and download speeds at acceptable levels.

To put it less technically, the MAX values are the best you can hope for given the settings for your upload speed.

Or am I completely off on this?

Actually hard to say. Slow public torrents with 1 seed and lots of junky peers...might as well run a few of those. But no matter how much upload you give out, they'll only give so much back each. :(

Private torrents or seeding...you don't need very many to max out probably upload and download.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived