Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switeck

Conservative Settings Chart (Alternate Speed Guide for uTorrent)

The bottom of my Settings Chart says it's not a good fit for private trackers/torrents.

...HOWEVER, at 800 kilobit/sec upload settings and higher it should still work ok *IF* you have enabled in advanced settings to not count slow DL and UL torrents against max queue limit!

With private trackers, often you'll have very few actually ACTIVELY uploading torrents...most are started but idle. :(

I have queue_dont_count_slow_ul&dl on true so I think it's right. And the last part that you often have very few actually actively uploading is highly dependent on the tracker, there's a few where seeding is extremely easy and a few that seeding is extremely hard.

But I still wonder about what Dread Wing wrote:

"And I didn't really get the first part there, is that a formel for something I should put in somewhere in µtorrent settings? Does it mean Uploadspeed/(slots*torrents), in my case 1400kbs/20*299=1400kbs/5980=0,234. Don't get it =P

have 1000kbs set as uploadlimit in utorrent though, accordingly to this guide."

Thanks for helping me out!

The FORMULA is for average upload speed per upload slot.

That is your total upload speed (or rather what upload speed uTorrent is actually reaching, if less)...divided between number of actively uploading torrents...then divided again between the number of peers being uploaded to PER torrent.

The Average Upload Speed per upload slot *NEEDS* to be about 3-10 KB/sec while downloading but should work just fine as high as 20 KB/sec while seeding. It's not fun trying to download from a lone seeder at <1 KB/sec...on a 1+ GB torrent. Better to be at 0...and know the seeder is giving more reasonable speeds to other peers that can/will/should upload to you at higher speeds.

In your case, your total upload speed is 1400 KB/sec.

Were all your torrents to have enough peers to upload to at once...

That would be 299 torrents with 20 peers (upload slots) each.

1400 KB/sec upload max / 299 torrents = 4.68 KB/sec PER torrent / 20 peers(upload slots) = 0.234 KB/sec Average Upload Speed per upload slot

That's...hopelessly slow.

However you probably have limited max connections to ~1000 or less. Assuming you're uploading to every connection...

1400 KB/sec / 1000 peer connections = 1.4 KB/sec Average Upload Speed per upload slot

This is far more reasonable, but still a bit low. :(

Assuming you're actually reaching 1000+ KB/sec upload speeds, sure.

Just keep the advanced settings queue_dont_count_slow_ul&dl set to true.

You might even be able to increase the upload speed considerably -- do some testing at what uTorrent maxes out at.

Well I reach 1.4MBps at absolutely max so it should be fine.

Thanks for all the help! You guys should almost be paid =P!

I might have another Q later, but if so, I'll edit or post again.

Thank you Switeck for this excellent speed guide. :)

Considering that until now I had no "speed problems" while I used uT 1.8.2, I recently upgraded to 2.0 and I noticed a slightly decrease of uploading speed. After few tests I noticed that for a same download speed on a torrent (private tracker):

- with uT1.8.2, I had ~ 8 or maxim 10 MB/s

- with uT2.0, I had ~ 5 or maxim 6 MB/s

using the same (default) advanced options/settings.

My question is: with the new utp protocol are there any new options/settings (like for ex. et.calc_overhead) I should pay attention or should I use the default settings?

My home connection is gigabyte fiberlink and I'm using win7 as operating system on a core duo E6320 with 4GB RAM, 250GB WD SATA3 7200rpm.

"gigabyte fiberlink" -- While a 10 gbit/sec fiber line in theory could manage 1 gigabyte/sec transfer speeds, I seriously doubt that's what you have. Maybe 1 gigabit/sec? Yet your speed reports:

- with uT1.8.2, I had ~ 8 or maxim 10 MB/s

- with uT2.0, I had ~ 5 or maxim 6 MB/s

...Suggest closer to 100 megabit/sec upload speed. Which if your connection isn't symmetric could mean 1 gbit/sec down and 100 mbit/sec up.

"250GB WD SATA3 7200rpm" -- Serial ATA 3gbit/sec you mean? SATA3 hasn't appeared on the market yet and wouldn't be such a 'tiny' hard drive if it was.

uTorrent v2.0 is still a beta. While it's nowhere nearly as crash-happy as v1.9 alphas were, it's still going to be lacking a bit in speed when using uTP connections until more bandwidth-based tweaking is done to uTP performance. You have to manually set bt.transp_disposition to 13 to allow incoming uTP connections but NOT make outgoing uTP connections. And you'll probably also have to disable a couple advanced settings (bt.tcp_rate_control AND net.calc_overhead) or your upload speed will probably go down when you get a uTP connection. uTP peer speeds may suffer, but on your connection that hardly matters.

A big uTorrent cache size (like 200-1000 MB) might not hurt either...

Thank you for answering. :)

I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted, so I'll make the necessary corrections now. ;)

My line is Fiberlink 1Gbps (dynamic IP), capped by the ISP at 50Mbps, but sometime I can connect to IPs that allow 100Mbps, so I usually have around 10-11 MB/s dl/up when using uT.

Of course, my hard disk is SATA II (3Gb/s) and not SATA III. :lol:;)

As about your suggestions, I'll give them a try and post the results here.

Thanks again for helping me, really appreciate. :)

COMMON PROCEDURES From the Speed Guide

Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP > Go to > Options > Preferences > Connections > uncheck boxes UPnP and NAT-PMP > Apply > OK

The speed jumped from 3 or 4 kB/s to 65 kB/s and stayed there until it finished!!!

Thank You! Thank You! Applauses! Applauses!

Switeck- I have a few questions.You have alot of patience.I read all ten pages,and can't believe how lazy some people are concerning this topic.I'm new,so figure it all out for me,OK!.......

I went to speedtest.net and tested my cable connection 10 times and did an average.

My results

Down = 8Mb/s

Up =.49Mb/s

Using your chart I fall in between these settings.I used the lower of the two choices,and plugged in all the figures using 448Kbit/sec.

║ 448 kbit/sec ║ 40│ 4║ 40│ 100║ 3│ 2

║ 512 kbit/sec ║ 47│ 4║ 40│ 100║ 4│ 3

I want to limit my max upload rate to 40kb/sec based on your chart.

Let's say I'm downloading 3 torrents.Is it better to keep the overall max upload rate of 40 and let the 3 torrents fight for upload speed or go into the property screen for each torrent and set an individual max upload.

(ie) 40/3=13.3,so I could cap out the max upload for each torrent at a max of 13 or 14,or would I be better off just downloading 2 torrents at a time,and set the max upload for each torrent at 20.

Hopefully I explained this so you can understand.

Thank-You

It's best to NOT set individual torrent upload or download speeds.

Otherwise, if for some reason one is very slow...the other/s cannot take up the slack.

If you reduce upload slots per torrent from 4 to 3, you can increase the max active+downloading torrents slightly.

I am using DSL ...512mbps...but i get download speed only 4kbits/s....can anybody help me to solve my problem?.......i'llbe highly honoured if my request is granted.....also suggest me the proper version of utorrent.....i'm now using 1.9 beta

No, that's Cox's BURST speeds in the speed test.

Your real sustainable upload speed may be only about 1/2 to 1/5th as much. :(

You were so helpful when I needed help maxing out my upload speeds before, that I wanted to know. I am getting set up with a 1gb connection, and even though it says I should know what I am doing, I would rather get settings suggestions from the experts on here, than poking around online elsewhere or guesstimating. So what do you think, 1gb up and 1gb down. Thanks you have all been very helpful.

I took a few internet speed tests, but i dont know which one is most acurate, so her are the results from speedtest.net, since everyone else seems to use that :

640157900.png

I dont think it really is that slow...Because the other test have much higher results and my internet is actually quite fast...anyways...

I have opened a port and i have a green triangle, but my download speed are only 20 kb/s at maximum and my upload speed is about 15kb/s maximum.

Once before, i had about 250 kb/s but then it just fell right back down, and i have no idea why.

Seeds = 12(691)

Peers = 8 (2120)

Why is it connecting to so few seeders and peers?

Today...my average speed is about 1-3 kb/s for upload and download )':

Sometimes when i change the settings with the utorrent recommended speed guide, to the xx/64k, it will go to about 150 kb/s but it doesnt stay consistant, and will drop soon back to the usual 10 kb/s...

help? :D

GabrielSylar, how fast are your speed test results on the seed box?

YacmanGarnd, you need to do the speed tests with EVERYTHING else stopped/closed.

I don't have the ability to run a speed test. I only have the webui. I trust the speed of the box is pretty close to advertised, I could set it as if my line were a little slower. or is there a way for me to test it, given my limited access ?