Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switeck

Conservative Settings Chart (Alternate Speed Guide for uTorrent)

640672434.png

I stopped my utorrent and my ares.

It still apears a little slow...

Anyways, any suggestions on my utorrent settings to speed it up?

Ive altered the settings slightly myself, and my speeds range from about 25 to 55kb/s - thats still quite slow.

Here are my current settings :

maximum upload rate = 4 kb/s

global maximum number of connections = 75

maximum number of connected peers per torrent = 50

number of upload slots per torrent = 1

maximum number of active torrents = 1

maximum number of active downloads = 1

These settings seem to work better than my previous ones, but it still doesnt seem fast enough. Am i doing something wrong? do you have any other suggestion? :)

I am using 15 MBps (1 MBps for upload).

I tried to set UTorrent with these settings:

imagem11111111111111111.png

imagemtiu.png

imagem2tb.png

Instead of disabling obfuscation, it's enabled, this screen was changed.

Using: Windows XP SP3. Half-open limit is down to 11, because according to this link, it will not matter if we increase that number (unless someone knows otherwise):

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=32557

And also, Portfoward says both TCP/UDP for 7005 port are open, so, no issues with a closed port, and no problems with speed either (at least I never saw any indications. I am using the last UT version). I checked UT 2.0 Beta, but it was using more UL speed and decreasing the DL rates, so I dropped.

My modem: Thomson TG508 (set to router), and D-Link DIR 300 set to DHCP. DIR 300 is also configured to allow that 7005 port, to my first IP, 192.168.0.100 (I am also using a notebook).

My current problem is related to a severe high ping and crazy tracert results from time to time. It seems that (at least in the last days), this modem (which has proven to not be reliable, it can't let the connection stay alive for more than 1-2 days), increases the ping to 200ms or more (for all tracert results), and then the speed drops 99,9%, making impossible to use the internet.

Then, minutes later seems to return to normal. Sometimes it doesn't return, then you have to reset or turn off the modem, and restart. I contacted the ISP and they said there's nothing wrong with their network. I also tested a SpeedStream 4200 from Siemens, and the problem is still there.

So my questions are:

* Are you sure those screens are correct? I mean, is that all we should configure for UTorrent to work properly?

Can UTorrent cause that kind of effect on my DIR 300 router? I was seeding about 4 files on a private tracker, and downloading at least 3 more. I believed UTorrent alone was making my connection very unstable, but now I am not sure. It must be something else.

Today I will try to use without the D-Link router, to see if something changes.

EDIT: Nevermind what I said - I have proven this is the ISP fault, not UTorrent's. The loss of packets is happening with two different modems and even if I isolate from the wireless network, it's happening. So there's nothing wrong with the program and torrents alone are not responsible for this.

1st link in my signature, slow speed section. (It's mentioned in my guide also!)

Lower net.max_halfopen in uTorrent back to 8. That article is incorrect...half open limit is how many at once, not how many per second. Also reduce bt.connect_speed from 20 per second to 1-4 per second. That is how many peer/seed ips to try to connect to per second -- it doesn't include incoming peers/seeds.

If you lowered your upload speed to only 30 KB/sec, at the *LEAST* you should also lower your upload slots per torrent from 6 down to 2. Otherwise, you'll be uploading extremely slowly to others and they could snub you and refuse to upload back to you later.

The slow speed quide didnt help.

I was useing wireless internet, but i connected it to the router instead, made a new port, and changed some of the settings.

Its steady at about 215kb/s going up quite often, but never below there.

I dont know if thats fast? I think 215kb/s is still slow, but its the fastest i can get.

Thanks anyways,

Yacman.

Your speed test showed only ~2 megabit/sec download max.

To reach 215 KiloBYTES/second download in uTorrent, you would need in excess of:

215 x 8 (bits per byte) = 1720 kilobits/second / 1024 (kilo per mega) = 1.68 megabit/second download.

You won't be getting much faster than that because not every bit uTorrent receives is part of the torrent. And your upload max was terrible.

Switeck, I knew about the net.max.halfopen, it was told on this thread itself that raising that value from the default 8 setting will not help (instead, we should decrease when necessary, it was explained here).

I didn't know about the rest:

Also reduce bt.connect_speed from 20 per second to 1-4 per second. That is how many peer/seed ips to try to connect to per second -- it doesn't include incoming peers/seeds.

If you lowered your upload speed to only 30 KB/sec, at the *LEAST* you should also lower your upload slots per torrent from 6 down to 2. Otherwise, you'll be uploading extremely slowly to others and they could snub you and refuse to upload back to you later.

Do you mean we should write 1-4 or simply 1, 2, 3 or 4 on that field?

I'm sorry, I dont understand what your saying. Im not really good with the different measurements. But my downloads finished, and the settings I have it on (which Im not really sure how to explain) work fine. And I do believe, I meant to say kilobits. Not kilobytes. Sorry, I obviously wrote the wrong measurement.

Therefore my settings for upload maximum would have been 4 kilobits, not kilobytes, as I accidently wrote.

Sorry, my fault, miss-communication.

Yacman

Also reduce bt.connect_speed from 20 per second to 1-4 per second.

Do you mean we should write 1-4 or simply 1, 2, 3 or 4 on that field?

Pick one between 1-4.

YacmanGarnd, I'm hoping you really do have at least 4 KiloBYTES/second upload...at least if nothing else is going on. That's dial-up speeds, but may be all you have.

So try this:

maximum upload rate = 4 kb/s

global maximum number of connections = 40

maximum number of connected peers per torrent = 30

number of upload slots per torrent = 1

maximum number of active torrents = 1

maximum number of active downloads = 1

You'll get fewer but hopefully better seeds/peers connections.

Hi Switeck,

Thanks for your conservative guide. i'm using it without any problems so far.

but i'd like to find out if i have multiple pc's running on uTorrent, can i use the same conservative settings for all?

Thanks in advance

Yes, they probably should use even MORE conservative settings...since the connection is shared.

Do note that splitting the upload even 2 ways means each one effectively gets less than half if both are running at once.

Hey plzzz help out

i have a dail up connection of 10 kb and in torrent its speed is too much slow

so kindely and requestly help plzzzzzzzzzz

Smith6, make a new message thread in Speed Problems forum.

List your measured down and up speeds for your connection, connection type, and follow 1st link in my signature for troubleshooting.

Make a new post with details asked for by 1st link in my signature in the Speed Problems.

Hard to help without more info. :(

Hi,

Thank you very much for the chart.

Is everyone but my self on this forum a techie or mind reader? as I am having a lot of problem findin answers or understanding the explanations, way to technical for me, but neverthe less the link was helpful and cleared up my confusion.

I tried to follow the chart and as the explanation for the chart was under the 'title' connection I was last and I found the first section under 'bandwidth' heading, and as for the second part which was under 'queuing' I probably would have taken another hour to work out. but the link and answer and images from 'moogly' got me out of a fix,

Great that I was able to use the exact same settings for UPLOADs of 512 kbits, but imagine my confusion before his post when I go to Preferences and the first ans is in kB/s and the chart didn't say this.

I am a real newbie to technical talk but an oldie in PC industry and I am having difficulty with the answers,

Would also like to make the suggestion that maybe the 'tab' names could be there so newbies can go directly to the area they need to.

Also would like to check if uploading reading in uTorrent between 10.9kB/s & 13.2 kB/s on one and between 6.9kB/s & 9.2 kB/s is going to keep people happy? as I don't want to be seen as a 'leech'

The following don't apply here but as moderator maybe they can be put in the appropriate area.

The FAQs tells me a 'tick' means the torrent is a stopped seed - but no search within uTorrent would tell me why it stopped or how to start. I got the answer via ask.com, now I would expect an answer in this forum somewhere but no I get redirected back to be told it is a stopped seed.

I appreciated the program and would imagine there has been years of work done, but I have not found it personally helpful, when you are a non Tech and some of the 'rude' answers I have read in the past 8 hours has been surprising and useless to me

When all I want is a simple answer eg how to fix the error message, can't find/open files in..... but there they are still in same folder nothing has changed.

Also in retrospect if a seed has stopped, it would seem logical to hit 'start' but we were trained never to assume even when something seems logical as when dealing with a PC logical is not always the answer.

Thanks for reading, and for the chart it and your link has been the only helpful part of this forum so far.

Very much appreciated

728245121.png

11207034.png

I have a 30Mbit fiber connection, should I be using your settings for 30Mbit connection or could I use higher settings, like more active torrents? I've been using 100 active torrents and never had any problems with my connection that I know of. Except http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=69532

Could this be because I had too many active torrents?

Also, I have 80 torrents right now, and I really want to seed as much as possible, but if having 30 active torrents that your settings suggest, would it just pick 30 random torrents or pick those with most traffic, or how does that really work?

Thanks, really appreciate any help/tips!

Edit: Apparently, lowering my active torrents from 100 to 30 didnt help solve my problem (the above url).

uTorrent will start more torrents if some of the 30 aren't active.

The point is to not divide the upload speed so thinly that each peers downloading from you get <5 KB/sec.

While only seeding, you also don't need very many connections per torrent. Even 10 will do.

Hi i was wondering if i can get some help with setting up my connection speed?

Here is my Speed test result.

729605696.png

I have it set like this at the moment is it correct?

upload limit: 72

slots: 5

connections per torr: 50

Max Global: 150

Thanks!

That looks correct, but if your ISP throttles BitTorrent traffic then uTorrent may not be able to reach 72 KiloBYTES/second upload speed. If you're trying to download a 1+ GB torrent that has more peers than seeds and 72 KB/sec upload speed max isn't reached then you may be being throttled or have other problems (1st link in my signature for that.)

This chart would be *SO* much better if it matched the actual wording... on the actual screens... on the software itself.

Or even this method:

Click on the BANDWIDTH tab and type in these values... 15, 60, 200, 40, 20, etc.

Click on QUEUEING and type in: 5, 10, 5, 20, etc

Done.

I just don't have time to read pages and pages of text.

Why call it "UPLOAD Limit" in 1 place... but call it "Max Upload Speed" elsewhere?

Why call it "Upload Slots" in 1 place... but call it "number of peers to upload to"?

Why call it "Connections Torrents" if you really mean "Maximum Connections allowed"?

Why use the term "Connections Maximum" if you mean "Global Maximum Connections allowed"?

Why say "Maximum Active Torrents"... instead of "Total Maximum Active"?

If you mean "Maximum Active Downloads" why say "Total Maximum Downloading Torrents"???

Why make 1000s of people have to guess about the "translation"????

Ugh.

You'd think after a couple years of this that someone else would make mention of that... :P

The caption is directly underneath the chart. The "These links explains my chart further:" are right above it.

Add more text to fix this problem? (yes/no)