Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switeck

Conservative Settings Chart (Alternate Speed Guide for uTorrent)

missed it. sorry. I see there is 1.53 Mbps UPLOAD rate, and on your uTorrent screenshot - 139 + 41.4 = 180.4 MByte/sec upload rate that is equal to 1.44 Mbps . Plus some overhead (see in your speed graph) - it looks OK to me.

I don't see any example of your download... :P

okay, i've got a 100/100 Mbps i use a Intel 9450 quad core and also i've got a WD Caviar Black SATA 6 Gb/s. I'm using latest version ( 3.1.2 26753) with prevoius version i haven't a problem with download now.. it's not right that.Can you tell me how i have to set my settings. If it's not a problem to show me with screenshots. Thanks!

1807795488.png

Could someone help me as to what setting I ought to input in the Preferences and Setup Guide. I'm a newbie (so could you please explain things as you would to someone that's new to uTorrent). The highest speed that I've ever gotten from uTorrent is 38Kb/s which doesn't last for longer than three minutes before it drops and stabalizes at 26Kb/s. Is it possible for me to get higher speeds or am I doomed? I'm situated in South Africa and I'm wondering whether that plays any significant role at all as far as setting's are concerned?

The highest speed that I've ever gotten from uTorrent is 38Kb/s which doesn't last for longer than three minutes before it drops and stabalizes at 26Kb/s

Based on your speed test results, that's all you're going to get.

Alright now rewrite the whole guide and make it simple for noobs. Who don't spend there life on a computer.

Totally agree! All I know is that you lot are a very smart bunch and know all the language etc. necessary to find your way, while as a stupid, clueless greenie like myself has to lumber about twiddling with things they do NOT know the first thing about. I guess that means that uTorrent will be forever useless to me since I cannot get fast, efficient downloads OR uploads either one. It takes 24 hours for me to download a 1.5 hr. movie and forget about seeding...... Seeding is damned near impossible and takes DAYS to get anything done. I WANT to help by seeding, but uTorrent actually does NOT allow me to seed!

I have made sure that firewalls etc. are not stopping uTorrent. I have cleaned caches and scanned for viruses and done everything I can to keep my computer friendly and non-hostile to uTorrent. I check my network connections faithfully. I have been dealing with uTorrent glitches, sluggishness and dead ends since I first downloaded UTorrent 6 months ago. It also appears to have little or nothing to do with the number of SE/LE s per the selected download! All I can do is scrape uTorrent out and reload the latest model again, and again, and again...... which doesn't improve anything.

UTorrent would be a lot more popular and profitable if it were simple enough for a 'tard like me to use..... but no -- it would seem it is only for those who have "special" knowledge and abilities. I suspect I will have to give up on this or any other torrent client for good, since the product is not dumbed down enough for me. Do any of the designers of uTorrent client ever read anything from dissatisfied and unhappy users? Or do the just think "screw those clueless noobs and peasants?" Because I wonder.

Hey guys,

My download speed is 8.48 Mb/s and upload is 1.44 Mb/s according to Speedtest.net. So where in the chart should I apply the settings?

CONNECTION TYPE║ UPLOAD ║CONNECTIONS║MAX ACTIVE║

║(UPLOAD MAXIMUM║Limit│Slots║ Torr│ MAX ║Torr│Down.║

1 mbit/sec ║ 92│ 6║ 60│ 200║ 7│ 6

looks about right to me.

Hello. My avg upload speed is 300kb/s. Download speed is usually around 6mb/s. (While downloading torrents)

Speed test shows this:

1978690912.png

What can i do to improve my upload speed?

Thanks

What can i do to improve my upload speed?

Use the 50Mbps settings in the Setup Guide in uTorrent (ctrl G) or the table here...

Well, I have read all these tips until I had a headache, followed them faithfully, tried different versions of uT, all to no avail, my 3500+ torrents completely refuse to upload, not a glimmer, not one bit will ascend the cyberpipe, nada, zilch...

So I have given up and just set the whole lot to 'Force Start', at least I can get some credit building up while I, hopefully, will one day fully understand the ins and outs of uT and all that goes with it!

Nil carborundum :|

my 3500+ torrents

If you expect uTorrent or any other client to voluntarily open for you 3500*~5 = 17500 connections - you are hallucinating... :P

I hallucinate, therefore I am...

I dunno, but at least everything is working, I am now maxing out my 5mbs upload so I reckon I can live with the kludge for now :)

Hi, all.

Great thread.

Just want to double check my settings. Speed test shows I'm getting 35 Mbps down/8 Mbps up (crappy NIC; should be getting 50+/10+). I'm running 3.1.3 (build 27327) [32-bit] on WinXP Pro.

Bandwidth prefs

"Maximum upload rate" limited to 500 kB/s.

"Apply rate limit to uTP connections" - CHECKED

"Global maximum number of connections" = 300

"Maximum number of connected peers per torrent" = 80

"Number of upload slots per torrent" = 12

"Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90%" - CHECKED

Queueing prefs

"Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download)" = 20

"Maximum number of active downloads" = 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do those look good, or should some be tweaked?

NB: I had to downgrade to 3.1.3, as I was having serious upload problems with 3.2.x

Thanks a lot!

Sancho

They look horrendous. Trying to open 1600 connections at once with a global limit of 300 kind of doesn't work (read: will cause major problems)

Bandwidth prefs

"Maximum upload rate" limited to 500 kB/s. [EDIT: changed to 850 KBps]

"Apply rate limit to uTP connections" - CHECKED

"Global maximum number of connections" = 300 [EDIT: changed to 350]

"Maximum number of connected peers per torrent" = 80 [EDIT: changed to 70]

"Number of upload slots per torrent" = 12

"Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90%" - CHECKED

Queueing prefs

"Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download)" = 20

"Maximum number of active downloads" = 10

They look horrendous. Trying to open 1600 connections at once with a global limit of 300 kind of doesn't work (read: will cause major problems)

I'm confused. Looking at the first post, I see:

CONNECTION TYPE¦  UPLOAD   ¦CONNECTIONS¦MAX ACTIVE-----------------¦-----------¦-----------¦------------  (UPLOAD MAXIMUM¦Limit¦Slots¦ Torr¦ MAX ¦Torr¦Down.-----------------¦-----------¦-----------¦------------     5 mbit/sec  ¦  500¦   10¦   70¦  400¦  15¦   10

My Upload rate is set to 850 KBps (6.640625 Mbps), and that gives me plenty of headroom, as my line speed tests at 10+ Mbps (1.25 MBps) UP. Based on that, and what I allow uTorrent for uploads, I used the first post for my settings, making them a little more conservative.

What can I do to "fix" it? Is this setting too high at 70?

"Connections Torr = Maximum number of Connected peers per Torrent"

Should "Connections MAX = Global Maximum number of Connections" be set higher?

I don't think I've misinterpreted the first post, but please let me know if I did, where and in what way.

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with uTorrent, that PC, or my LAN in general. My upload speed is currently 850 KBps; i.e., fully utilized. My download speed is at 800 KBps, but that's limited to the seeders. Earlier it was 3+ MBps, with uploads chugging along.

Thanks.

Yeah, I figured where the '1600' came from. That's down to 1400 with my current settings.

I've been running those settings for a couple weeks now, 24/7 save for a reboot or three, and have never experienced a problem. I'm hard pressed to see why I should reduce the Max. number of Active Torrents (I assume that's the number you think should be reduced). Are you saying that the numbers posted by Switeck at the beginning of this thread are wrong? Given the conservative line from which I borrowed, his "number" is 1050.

According to Small Net Builder, my router can handle 4096 Maximum Simultaneous Connections. Does that factor into your thinking?

You, along with many others, are stuck on the emule train of thought in regards to download speeds.

Running more torrents at a time does NOT improve your overall speeds. I am able to max out a 20mbit/15mbit line with 1 download using 40 peer connections. More torrents and more peer connections means you will be splitting your connection more ways, reducing the effectiveness of individual connections.